Fan trouble

jake w

Having trouble with my fan staying on unplugged wires from thermostat and made sure they weren't touching. If I change round the fan power wires it goes off but then doesent kick in not sure what to try 

15 hours ago, jake w said:

Having trouble with my fan staying on unplugged wires from thermostat and made sure they weren't touching. If I change round the fan power wires it goes off but then doesent kick in not sure what to try 

Buy yourself a multimeter, switch it to resistance (ohms) and check across the thermostat terminals with wires disconnected with a cold motor, if it's shorted than the thermostat is cactus.(as copemech stated).

Swapping the polarity as you have tried proves FA, on some electric motors this may simply cause them to spin backwards. On other electric motors with diodes and such that are polarity conscience you are basically shorting them out. A multimeter is your best friend and will be forever. I'm an electrician in Australia and trust my life on "Fluke" brand multimeters but they can be a little expensive, a cheap 'digital' job from your local auto shop or hardware will serve you well.