Ldv Cub/nissan Vanette Headlights

neonsurge

One of the headlights on my LDV Cub (rebadged Nissan Vanette) has failed. No biggie, but I can't work out how to remove the headlight unit so that I can replace the bulb! I've tried every retaining bolt and clip in the vicinity but the unit remains very securely attached. If anyone has one of these beasts and acan point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Iv noticed know one has replyd yet, so ill stick my ore in.

Im no mechanic, and dont even know what the said van is. But on the headlight lamps i have changed in the past, the lamp and its holder just pull straight out,of the back. There may be a retaining clip to undo. I think it is very rare for the whold headlight to need removing.

Doubt this helps, but its the thought that counts :(

Ryan

Have alook where the wiring enters the light,theres generally a ruber boot,inside this you will probably find the afore mentioned clip or some other retaining device,sometimes the bulbholder is on a bayonet fitting to the back of the lamp

Step 1. Remove front number plate.

Step 2. Remove rear number plate.

Step 3. Remove vehicle.

Step 4. Replace vehicle.

Step 5. Reattach rear number plate to new vehicle.

Step 6. Reattach front number plate to new vehicle.

Light should now work.

If this does not happen repeat using new vehicle.

OK, OK, I realise that it might have appeared to be a dumb question, but I looked for a retaining clip first of all and didn't find one. That's when I broke out the spanners (probably a bad move in retrospect, but there you go).

husky: There IS a rubber boot on there with the cables going into it! I didn't try to pry it back 'cos I didn't want to risk damaging anything but I'll take another look.

PA: As ever, your solution is almost Swiftian in it's incisive elegance. I salute you, sir. If I still can't sort it after taking husky's advice, I'll give that a go ;)

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll go away now... :(

• 1 month later...

what i these vans like passed my test on wednesday and might be getting one. more importantly how many bikes can you get in the back

I was just browsing through the new forum posts and noticed your reply.

It's a good little van if a bit thirsty (2 litre non-turbo diesel) and slowish (0-60 takes a glacial 28 seconds when fully loaded) but torquey as hell and will chug around in 5th gear all day. Easily gets 2 bikes plus all riding gear, toolboxes, fuel cans etc. in the back. I reckon you could get 3 bikes in without too much bother but I've never tried it.

The advantage of the Cub/Vanette and other vans of this type is that they're not as large and obtrusive as something like a Transit or Traffic and don't look so incongruous sat on the driveway (which means the missus doesn't get quite so narked).

Mine has 97,000 miles on it (not all by me!) and still runs beautitfully. Only problem I've had was a broken propshaft caused by a loose UJ bolt (my own fault, I should've tightened it as soon as I noticed the vibration) but even that was quickly (and relatively cheaply) fixed.