315r Carb

darrensn

Hi, i've got a 315r 2002 and have a little bit of a prob with the carb, a Dellorto standard unit.

When the bike has been stood for a week and it is started on choke, it revs crazy high. If you knock the choke off immediately and rev it for a short while its gets you over the problem. If you turn the motor off for say 3 hours and start it on choke, it fast idles like it should on choke, no problems (bike maybe still slightly warm). I took the choke lever with brass piston attached out to inspect and found nothing untoward down the bore. The next day the bike then started perfectly from cold on choke and i thought the fault had dissapeared at last. However after using the bike (which ran the best it has for 18 months) I jet washed it, it then started on choke but revved crazy again.

I have also experienced trying to alter the idle screw when running and it didn't realy change the tick over revs, but sometimes it does ?????

Can anyone shed some light as I am no bike expert and confused ?

Thanks,

Darren.

My O2 did the same thing. I got lazy and didn't keep the crankcase clear of mung - I just kept turning in the idle screw every now and then to compensate. Didn't take but a couple of rides of this before it started racing away on cold choke. The fix was to simply blow it out (until it quit smoking altogether). The added RPM at idle required more than a full turn out on the screw to re-compensate.

The slide was now repositioned where it wanted to be for cold start. Problem gone. For grins, I turned the idle screw back to where it was before the 'purge' and it raced away again on cold start up.

One thing for sure... the idle screw doesn't have much authority when the engine is all loaded up. Also, a dragging clutch is going to make you raise the slide some more too. It doesn't take a bunch of slide height to transition out of the idle circut, and that's what mine was doing.

Hi Widrace, i turned down the idle screw and the bike started fantastic on choke, when i turned the choke off it cut out (no idle speed). I then restarted it on choke again and revved it a little whilst i turned off the choke, i warmed it up and blased it several times in 3rd + 4th but didn't see much smoke. I then set the idle screw and sometimes it was running high revs on idle then low revs nearly cutting out and i found it very hard to set. It seemed only a couple of degrees turn from too much to too little idle. The bike did cut out several times throughout the day and it seemed as if it ran out of fuel each time. It wouldn't start without choke and i had to turn the idle screw out each time so it wouldn't scream. It seems like the idle circuit is not consistant. I spent the whole day turning the idle screw in and out but didn't get a constant result ?? Do you have any suggestions ? Thanks, Darren