Another "Which Bike Should I Buy?"

Dillypoop

I'm new here so sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread.

As the title states, I'm looking for a new trails bike. I previously had a '10 GG 300 Raga. It was okay but was well used and had problems. I'm looking to get as new as possible now (what makes the most financial sense). 

So I've narrowed it down to a new Sherco. I've ridden the '18 300 fst and it was great. There's a dealer with a '17 250fst and a private seller with a '19 300fst. I'm a newish rider and am still mastering the basics. I'm used to a 300 trials bike / racing off-road with 300's, for what it's worth. 

I've been told the '19s clutch is significantly better than the '17. There's a $1,500 USD difference in price between the two with the '17 being a little more worn but in very good overall condition. 

Is it worth it to spend the bit extra? I'm leaning more towards the '19 even though it's a 300 and a bit more.

Hi Dillypoop. When you say ‘a new’ Sherco are you meaning brand new or new to you...recent used bike not new. I would be going for the youngest bike that I could afford. The manufacturers tend to iron out the issues year on year...so a $1500 difference could soon be eaten up in spare parts, loss of use due to down time and a significant reduction in resale value if you went for an older bike. By my maths that 17 bike is quite a bit older than the 19....obvious really. Try to negotiate a few $00 extra discount to sweeten the deal if you can, or extras thrown into the deal. ?

32 minutes ago, section swept said:

Hi Dillypoop. When you say ‘a new’ Sherco are you meaning brand new or new to you...recent used bike not new. I would be going for the youngest bike that I could afford. The manufacturers tend to iron out the issues year on year...so a $1500 difference could soon be eaten up in spare parts, loss of use due to down time and a significant reduction in resale value if you went for an older bike. By my maths that 17 bike is quite a bit older than the 19....obvious really. Try to negotiate a few $00 extra discount to sweeten the deal if you can, or extras thrown into the deal. ?

"New" as in new to me. The '19 is a sponsored bike. The price is set and not really negotiable, unfortunately. The guy who owned it is our local club president and is supposedly very good with maintenance. His son rode it for a season at the local Master level. So it'd be reasonably used but not abused. Never practice time on it - just events. 

I can go with a '20 as well. But that's yet another $1,200 on top of that and it's still used but was used at the TDN. 

21 hours ago, Dillypoop said:

"New" as in new to me. The '19 is a sponsored bike. The price is set and not really negotiable, unfortunately. The guy who owned it is our local club president and is supposedly very good with maintenance. His son rode it for a season at the local Master level. So it'd be reasonably used but not abused. Never practice time on it - just events. 

I can go with a '20 as well. But that's yet another $1,200 on top of that and it's still used but was used at the TDN. 

Spoilt for choice, but I’d be going for the 19 .....its so easy spending someone else's money.??