Carb Question

lpd

On my Gasgas 200TXT I had the fuel screw 3 1/2 turns out and ticker set to idle nice. Today I was experimenting with the fuel screw and tried it at 2 turns out and adjusted the ticker to the same idle. Difference is that the bike has much lower torque and seems chunkier on the throttle. Will this adjustment harm anything on my bike or create problems? At 3.5 turns it seemed to have less low end torque.

On my Gasgas 200TXT I had the fuel screw 3 1/2 turns out and ticker set to idle nice.  Today I was experimenting with the fuel screw and tried it at 2 turns out and adjusted the ticker to the same idle.  Difference is that the bike has much lower torque and seems chunkier on the throttle.  Will this adjustment harm anything on my bike or create problems?  At 3.5 turns it seemed to have less low end torque.

It's always hard to give jetting advice over the internet.

If it is the idle mixture screw you are calling the fuel screw, it will not hurt your bike to ride it with it at non-ideal settings unless you are using the bike for high speed road riding. If you are using your Gasser for trials type riding, the worst you will do is cause your plug to foul if you leave it idle for ages with the idle mixture too rich.

I suggest you set the idle mixture screw where the bike runs best for you and your fuel, oil to fuel ratio, altitude, temperature and humidity and if you like the motor to idle or die on closed throttle.

A good guide if you like to ride with an idle is (with the bike in neutral) to slow the idle using the throttle slide lifting screw until it is running very slowly, then set the idle mixture screw setting to give the smoothest idle. Not the fastest idle, the smoothest idle. You should hear the motor run lumpy when it is too rich and run unevenly like it is running out of fuel when it is too lean. See if you can get it right in the middle of those effects with the idle mixture screw. When that is done, increase the idle speed using the throttle slide lifting screw until it idles at the speed you want with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in.

Unless someone has fiddled with the pilot jetting or there are induction air leaks, the idle mixture screw setting you end up with should be close to the standard setting as recommended by the manufacturer ie if the standard setting is 2 1/2 turns, you should end up somewhere between 2 and 3 turns.

I find with the screw further in the bike responds quicker and sharper to the throttle wheras when it is set furthur out maybe 4 turns there is a slight splutter on pickup (as its running a bit richer) this helps in muddy conditions. Its what ever you feel most comfortable with.