New Bikes-are They Worth It?

monty-python

The biggest part of getting a "new" bike is the riders mental response to the placebo effect of the new machine. I can vouch for having huge improvements in my score after getting a "new" bike. I was stuck in a rut and something about having a new color scheme and logo etc. was just as much a factor as the alleged superior machine. (it was actually better) Some riders get a new bike every year and their results never seem to improve. That would be frustrating I think. Even worse, getting a new bike that was actually a step down from what you had. I have done this myself in the past and it was a very bad experience. Choose a new bike very carefully. Ride them all and try to be objective about your needs as a rider. I'd like to have one of each, but that isn't gonna' happen. Jay

Yes, I feel there is a big inprovement in suspension and handling on the new bikes, plus the lack of weight. I had a 99 GG 321, stopped riding trials for about a year and a half (my ktm phase) and recently purchased an 03 280 pro. Within two rides I was able to do things that I could have never done on my 321. I notice that getting over things is much easier, turning is easier, and drops are much, much more controlled-I attribute that to the lack of weight and more importantly, the suspension.

It's a funny thing, but everytime i try a newer bike they feel better than mine (a 2000 Montesa 315), then i get back on mine and it feels better still.

I'm not saying that Montesa's are the best bike, but my bike is the best one for me, i'm thinking on changing soon, and the only bike i have ridden that i feel MORE confident on are Scorpa's.

Gaff.

i have recently bought a new bike 03 pro gg and i agree with jay its a mental thing i.e confidence and unless you are a good rider i dont think your points improve hugely unless your previous bike was a 1976 swm or something !!!!!!!!! not that you cant do well on old stuff just i like new bikes ( and im still crap so there you go ) :D

My riding improved 10 fold when I went from my 95 Techno to the 2001 Rev 3, but I don't find a great deal of difference between the 01 and 04 as far as improving my riding. :(

None of the above improved my finances. :P

I thing the cost of a new trials bike is insane. Compared to what you pay for a motocrosser or enduro we are getting ripped off. But what are you going to do if you love trials. :D

They get better every year, the sum of all tweaks!! well looked after they will last you a few years and be very competitive, but the market for used modern bikes keeps in step with new prices.

If you are procrastinating about buying a new bike, the EURO is doing a real number on the US dollar and seems to be getting stronger, what might be expensive today could be a lot more expensive in a few weeks.

Those that can afford a new bike every year will get one, and that puts some nice used bikes on the market for those that are a bit more thrifty with the coin.

I think the major change from the end of a model line to a new model are the most noticeable.

I think you are asking 2 questions in one or maybe 3. Here is my take.

I like a new bike pretty much every year not because it would make me ride better per se, but its just great having every thing tight and spot on. New tyres straight rims, tight bearings and so on all add to the feel of a bike, and knowing you have the best and latest gives you a boost too.

There is no excuse as far as blaming the bike though.

If you want to improve your performance and your bike is a few years old, a new bike won't make as much difference as say going out for an extra couple of hours practicing and spending another hour prepping your bike, imho.

Its my Son who uses it and Practice is making perfect. Obvious problems are that everything is full size and the weight and size of a 12-year old do mean that the grip is in short supply even when running the rear tyre pressure very low. In that respect the "softer" power delivery of the Gas Gas and Beta are better. The pay-off of course is as he gets bigger it will be a better all round bike!