New ignition anyone?

Tillerman6

So this is just an update on my install and first tests of the Clubman ignition from Rex's Speed Shop. I was not sponsored, so this is on my own nickel.  This kit has actually exceeded my expectations and I am very happy with the results. The install is very simple and most of the pictures are easy to understand. 

The first part of the install is to remove the magneto rotor with your special puller tool., swap out the old ignition back plate with the new one and bolt it down with the new hardware provided.  I used a little blue Loctite on the three screws just for  a little peace of mind.  The new ignition plate is way less busy than the stock one as it does not have a lighting coil.  I believe that is an option you can get when you order initially or possibly it can be added later if you need lights on your bike. 

This kit uses the original mag rotor, so the next step has you re- installing that again over the new coil assembly and torque things down to factory specs.  The nut on the TY 250 A uses a hefty 50-55 foot pounds of torque on that nut, so special tools are a plus to have here. 

Next you are on to the mounting of the high tension coil and the new plug cap.  I was much impressed with the fit on the HT coil as it was a snug fit into the TY 250 A frame with no modifications needed!

I have seen several other kits being installed on You Tube video's and most of them require welding or new brackets to be fabricated for the HT coil- not this one!  It slides in perfectly and bolts down with the original  hardware!  Very nice!  

With all the original wiring from the old HT coil removed, the only connection to make for my bike was one wire to the kill switch.  This was done by adding a male bullet connector on to my old kill switch wiring and plugging that into the orange wire from the new HT coil.  The other ground wire from the kill switch grounds to the mounting bolt where the HT coil also grounds to the frame.  

The last part of the install for this kit is the CDI module- this lives inside the TY "tool box" area, so if anyone was actually using the "tool box" for tools, they will have to find a new home for this install.

The CDI box is small enough and mounts inside the tool box with velcro tape.  The fit is fairly snug, so I feel as though it should stay in place well enough if you clean the inside surfaces first before sticking the assembly inside.  

Lastly, the wires are all connected and zip ties applied over the wiring harness covers- making sure not to apply zip ties directly over the wires and you are done!

Just for fun I decided to see what kind of spark I was getting now with the new kit installed.  - The plug threads were grounded to the frame and the kick starter produced a decent spark on about the 3rd kick.

I think the circuits are not charged up until this happens since there is no battery in anywhere in the system.  

At any rate,  it made sparks, so the plug was screwed back down and it was time to fire it up!

I was also interested in knowing if there was any tendency to "kick back" on the start up proceedure as I had so often experienced with the old points system-  So far - none of that has happened, so I am very happy about that as it was the main reason for upgrading to the new kit in the first place.

I have only had the RSS system on the bike for 2 days now, so I can't give any long term reviews, but the fact of having a true advance curve seems to enhance the low speed handling of the bike.   This may be just dreaming, but the slow turns with no clutch being used seem to take less effort and the bike rpm's are a little smoother overall.  I have to say here that I am no trials rider by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel like the addition of this kit by Rex's Speed Shop is a definite improvement if for no other reason than the fact that you will not be crawling on the shop floor peering thru a tiny hole in the flywheel any time soon  trying to set the points position relative to TDC ever again! 

Rex's  does recommend going to a different plug for this kit- one of the new Iridium variety from NGK, so I did order one yesterday, and when it comes in it may enhance things slightly more, but I think today I'm going to go give it a try as is while the weather holds out.  

If anyone else has a Rex's Speed Shop kit installed- please let us know what your' experience was like!

Tillerman6

• Like 1

Sorry you had trouble with the ordering. I did everything online and did all my guesswork as to which variety to order myself.  The rest was just the paperwork, so it was pretty stress free.

I went out and gave the bike a good work out today on some single track in my area of North Idaho. Met up with a new friend and he he led me up some single track switch backs going up hill in some loose rocks and tight turns- you had to keep some momentum up to stay on the trail and the ignition was great stuff.  Most of the trail you could use fairly low rpm's in 2nd or 3rd and tractor up the hills with ease.  The tight stuff was trickier as 2nd seemed too fast and first was too slow.  Anyway we had a great time and no body got hurt, and if the ignition works as well in the future as it did today, I can say it was worth every cent I paid for it.

By the way- thanks for the reply!

• Like 1

I think you can just disconnect the "boost switch" on there if it is in your way, but you would want to check with Rex's to be sure.   The standard model seems to give the TY 250 about as much advance as it could ever use.  I don't really need a lot because I run 99% of the time at lower rpm's and throttle settings.