Suspension for heavy

Benjohnston

I swapped the rear shock spring on my 2020 Gas Gas GP 300 and it was a straight forward job. Mine has a Reiger 3 way shock but I presume the 2 way Reiger on the standard TXT model will be very similar.

1. Remove the air box and rear wheel for easy access (the handbook advises removing the silencer but its not needed)
  2. Slacken off both of the spring preloaders at the bottom of the shock all the way (best to do this before the next step to avoid the shock spinning)
  3. Remove the top shock bolt and tip the shock back
  4. Once you have done 2. and 3. the top section of the shock should move down slightly to allow you to remove a large circlip.
  5. Once the circlip is off, the top section that holds the spring will come off and allow the spring to come off over the top of the shock.
  6. Put on the new spring and do all of the above in reverse
  7. Set your static and weighted sag roughly
  8. Ride the bike a bit to bed in the spring
  9. Set your static and weighted sage again a bit more precisely (instructions on this are in the handbook)

Changing the spring took me about half an hour with no prior knowledge, just figuring it out as I went along. If you don't know how shocks disassemble (I didn't) the circlip was only apparent after the preloaders were wound all the way off so no pressure was on the spring.

For what it is worth I fitted a Jitsie aftermarket spring and it has made a big difference. I found the shock bottomed out a lot with the standard spring even with preload wound up high. The Jitsie springs are a little cheaper than the Reiger ones. Splatshop sells them among others. 

Edited by ksv