2021 Montesa 301 - Trouble Cold Starting

Japzap643

I’ve got a new, 1.5 hour Montesa 301. Bike has always been incredibly easy to start. 1-2 lazy kicks and it runs. I had the bike sat for some time running VP Trials fuel, no ethanol. Now coming back to use it, bike goes to start but barley idles on the first kick where it now struggles to stay running. It then takes many kicks before you can get it up and running again, once you get it going you need to crack the throttle to keep the rpm elevated slightly and then from there it runs flawlessly. Is it possible that I may need to swap a spark plug? Not sure what’s causing this with less than 2 hours on the bike.

Edited by Japzap643
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 12:45 PM, Japzap643 said:

What is the best practice to check idle? Dealer tool? How are you getting accurate RPM?

I got an hour meter with tachometer integrated.

No affiliation just liked the mount and meter.

Meter: https://www.hardlineproducts.com/product/hourtach-meter/

Mount: https://www.hardlineproducts.com/product/hour-meter-instrument-style-mount/

Edited by jonnyc21

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just picked up a new to me Montesa 4RT.

At first mine did exactly the same as your description, so I thought something was not right and rang the dealer.

It turns out due to the fuel injection system, you must not even touch the throttle prior to starting it, my dealer even said don’t even put your had on the throttle grip, which I must have done, as now it starts first time.

The process in the video from the Spanish guy is pretty much spot on.

Out of interest what’s the advantage of using the special fuel you mention? I had not heard of it before.

Hope this helps in a small way! 

22 hours ago, Nigelpugh said:

I’ve just picked up a new to me Montesa 4RT.

At first mine did exactly the same as your description, so I thought something was not right and rang the dealer.

It turns out due to the fuel injection system, you must not even touch the throttle prior to starting it, my dealer even said don’t even put your had on the throttle grip, which I must have done, as now it starts first time.

The process in the video from the Spanish guy is pretty much spot on.

Out of interest what’s the advantage of using the special fuel you mention? I had not heard of it before.

Hope this helps in a small way! 

VP fuel is a racing fuel so will have no ethanol in it and is often a higher octane level. 

Most of the people I know that get VP are after the no ethanol because they don't have a non-ethanol option at a standard pump station.  Some feel there bikes run better on the VP.  Most of the people I know that like the VP ride 2T bikes, and a few people I know have tried it in their 4RT's and had issues.  Also, some will mix standard octane non-ethanal with the VP and really like that. 

In the end it can make a difference depending on bike, conditions, modifications, etc. and preference in most cases.

• Like 1