New to Trials, would love some advice!!

dirtrider86

Hey guys! So, just picked up a 300 txt trials gasgas. Was hoping for a 250 but got a good deal on this 300. So far I love it. for the last 3 days, been working on static balancing so I can start progressing into front hops

Today, I just went trail riding on what some would call "hard enduro" pretty much all rocks. Really trying to get the feel of riding on rocks and also practicing slow moving over the rocks without putting a foot down. Very hard to do ha. I would essentially ride my 2 stroke down it, but sitting down with a leg out, trials is forcing me to stand so very different feeling.

Eventually I would like to navigate the same trail, stop static balance, continue to roll on etc. That is my goal right now, so just looking for some advice! What should I do, what should I practice? Is riding on those harder enduro trails on a trials still beneficial even? I cant clean it with a trials since im always dabbing and losing balance. Thoughts?

You need to master the static balance to be any good.  More than a few days, more than a few weeks.  There are masses of youtube videos to show technique.  But while all of that is great and helpful in the end if you cannot balance you will put a foot down.  Balance skills don't last forever and you need to practice balance all the time or lose it.  My friend was in the British Ladies team but struggles with balance now after a couple of years off.

I keep my bike at work and try to do a few minutes when it is quiet.  But motivation is the hardest thing to keep up.  I have grown lazy after getting the basics.

When the novelty wears off you will soon see if you are going to ride trials or not.

4 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

You need to master the static balance to be any good.  More than a few days, more than a few weeks.  There are masses of youtube videos to show technique.  But while all of that is great and helpful in the end if you cannot balance you will put a foot down.  Balance skills don't last forever and you need to practice balance all the time or lose it.  My friend was in the British Ladies team but struggles with balance now after a couple of years off.

I keep my bike at work and try to do a few minutes when it is quiet.  But motivation is the hardest thing to keep up.  I have grown lazy after getting the basics.

When the novelty wears off you will soon see if you are going to ride trials or not.

Yeah exactly. that is the main thing I am wondering about and why I looked for a cheap trials. Dirt Bike riding, sure super fun but I can sit and ride about any average trail and will never lose its fun. 

Trials, super excited about it and its all im thinking about but not sure if its because it is new to me. However few things im loving more than dirt bikes. Im not scared to go alone since its so easy to push up crazy obstacles. i tried it yesterday to see if I can push it up a 6 ft rock face and climbed right up. so much easier to go anywhere with confidence too. sure its  not "trials" way, but I see trials has way more pros than dirt biking. the fact I dont have to worry about getting stuck on a solo ride is amazing. The con, woo my back hurts fast! so I do hope I can build tolerance to stand for a long time on a trials. 

anyhow, I didnt buy a trials to just trail ride, but I partially did too haha. My main short term goal is to static balance, ride over rocks and stuff, then static balance. i might ask this question on another section as it relates to technique. but as of now im super excited.!

21 minutes ago, oldtimetrials said:

Join a club, there are plenty dotted about. What you will find is that in trials it doesn't matter what level you are at you wont be judged, in fact you will find more riders close to your riding capabilities than experts and all will welcome you. Give it a go, you can't loose.

Thank you!! I found rocky mountain trials association https://rockymountaintrials.org/ but I think they are done for the season. unfortunately they are a tad bit away from me. but ill drive 2 hours or so to them. Hoping something comes along! one of the reasons I want to join trials, ive heard many of them dont judge, big open arms, and just a great bunch of group. unfortunately the riding I was doing, enduro and hard enduro I felt too much pressure and stopped being fun for me, this is why I ride alone now. 

That's been my experience, and from what I've seen of American clubs on video they look like they have the same kind of attitude - trials is very humbling and doesn't have a macho image, so those who want to throw their metaphorical weight around don't stick with it compared to enduro or MX.

If you can't find at least one local person to practice with, I'd suggest trying to convert a friend ... even as complete newbies, two people together can have lots of fun (my other half has zero love of observed trials, only long distance trials, but she loves going out for a practice with me :) )

14 hours ago, dirtrider86 said:

Thank you!! I found rocky mountain trials association https://rockymountaintrials.org/ but I think they are done for the season. unfortunately they are a tad bit away from me. but ill drive 2 hours or so to them. Hoping something comes along! one of the reasons I want to join trials, ive heard many of them dont judge, big open arms, and just a great bunch of group. unfortunately the riding I was doing, enduro and hard enduro I felt too much pressure and stopped being fun for me, this is why I ride alone now. 

I think @lineawaymay be from your neck of the woods. He might be able to point you in t the direction of local clubs.

4 hours ago, turbofurball said:

That's been my experience, and from what I've seen of American clubs on video they look like they have the same kind of attitude - trials is very humbling and doesn't have a macho image, so those who want to throw their metaphorical weight around don't stick with it compared to enduro or MX.

If you can't find at least one local person to practice with, I'd suggest trying to convert a friend ... even as complete newbies, two people together can have lots of fun (my other half has zero love of observed trials, only long distance trials, but she loves going out for a practice with me :) )

Yeah that tends to be the thing almost anywhere you go from ATVs, UTVs, Dirt Bikes to sports of course. The whole I am better than you attitude. Trials dont seem to be that way. But I hope I can find someone even to trail ride a bit with the trials and practice some obstacles. But at least your other half goes out with you! ha ha I tried getting mine into dirt bikes, but unfortunately it is a scary sport for her. maybe one day!

15 minutes ago, faussy said:

I think @lineawaymay be from your neck of the woods. He might be able to point you in t the direction of local clubs.

Yeah definitely! I am near Canon City, CO so maybe anyone around here hopefully!

• Like 1

All along hwy 50 is tons of trials area to ride. Many if the RMTA club live from Pueblo to Salida. Also you might try Mountain West Vintage Trials Association to. Very laid back club that half the members ride modern bikes. Check out Turkey Rock for an area to ride. ITs BLM property in Howard.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:45 PM, lineaway said:

All along hwy 50 is tons of trials area to ride. Many if the RMTA club live from Pueblo to Salida. Also you might try Mountain West Vintage Trials Association to. Very laid back club that half the members ride modern bikes. Check out Turkey Rock for an area to ride. ITs BLM property in Howard.

Thank you!! I will look into this!

• 1 month later...

Although static balance is important for sure, you will also start to gain balance skill from just riding. I ride single track stuff on my trials bike and practice static in between, I still am not great, but I notice just RIDING it more I am improving. Don't think about it too much, practice and time on the bike will get you there. I recommend just having fun with it, the rest will follow!