Clear coat over stickers

LSMO

I'm facing a "pick your poison" situation.  I'm painting a Model 85 tank using the common base coat / clear coat process and need to know what to do about clear coating the Bultaco stickers.  On the one hand, if I don't clear coat the stickers, I'm concerned that any gasoline spill will dissolve the adhesive, and the stickers will come loose.  On the other hand, the clear coat manufacturer isn't sure the clear will adhere properly to the stickers.  How is this commonly handled?  What works, gents?

I'm not quite in your position as I have stickers coming off a 2017 Beta.

But here's my logic.

If you clear coat on top of the applied sticker, and in the future you scratch or damage the sticker, it will be a real pain to repair.

I would rather remove the sticker then re-apply as required every few years, than go through the faff of getting the sticker off from under the clear coat, and redoing it all again.

In effect have a sacrificial sticker, rather than repainting the tank.

JRob does have a good point, and it makes me wonder how often I would need to replace my stickers given that gasoline spills seem to be inevitable.  On the other hand, your BEAUTIFUL tank proves that clear coating the stickers is possible, Trials-dabbler.  I'm curious who manufactured your stickers and what brand of clear coat you used over them.

LSMO;

The vinyl-type stickers were from Hugh's Bultaco and the clear was DuPont.  I don't recall who produced the stickers and I didn't see them offered on Hugh's site, but I'm sure a call or email would confirm their availability.  Phone: 518-851-7184 Email: info@buybultaco.com