Magnetic kill switch lanyards

obd

Brand new to trials. I have a 04 Scorpa 125 which has a stop button. Just wondering if there is much difference between the Apico & more expensive Leonelli ones used on modern Scorpas before I buy one?

1 hour ago, obd said:

Brand new to trials. I have a 04 Scorpa 125 which has a stop button. Just wondering if there is much difference between the Apico & more expensive Leonelli ones used on modern Scorpas before I buy one?

The Leonelli has a longer red plastic bit that houses the magnet, so is a bit more easily bumped off its seat.

They have opposite magnetic polarity.

I haven't looked close enough to see it the magnets are held in place differently. Having the magnet pop out of the holder seems to be a fairly common problem, based on how many people have asked to borrow a lanyard after theirs lost its magnet.

I didn't notice a difference in price between them.

• Like 2

@obd I have both ,  Leonelli magnet plastic red cap actually clips as well  as having the magnet to connect it to the black base where the connecter is and so resists separating accidently more than the Apico Type that is connected purely by magnetic attraction , this means that if you are using an elastic tether cord that when you fall off the resistance to seperate in the Leonelli design means that it pings off with greater force than the Apico kill switch and so will sting more if it hits you in the face, I have had no problems with Leonelli magnets falling out of the red plastic cap  but have had quite a few come out of the Apico red cap, I now use a pick to pull them out when new and use the rubberised type shock resistant Loctite super glue to refix them and had no problems so far.

My prefered type is the Apico one as it clips on easier and pings off with less force during  a quick get off but with the glue fix to the magnet obviously. My advice is throw away the metal  laceration handlebar clip and use a cable tie to strap it to the bar then hide it along side the clutch master cylinder like the pro riders do ,  find a closeup image of one of their setups , the way most people fix them on their bikes they must like Accident and Emergency waits.

The magnets on the Apico and the Leonelli kill buttons have different polarities as already mentioned so if you need a spare magnet and lanyard you have to use the same brand you cannot mix and match.

Edited by Tr1AL
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, obd said:

I thought they were all expensive 😐 Stay away from the Hall effect lanyard switch ones, go with a simple magnet one like Jitsie sells, they fail less often.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, obd said:

WARNING!

Be aware they have different polarities and are not interchangable. You can not mix them without big problems.

The elastic can be replaced with boot lace to stop. . . Well, use your imagination

I was given a small magnet to stick on the frame of my GG . Makes an excellent back up. A friend lost a lanyard from my spare bike. We never found it.

Must try find a place to stick it on my TRS, but steel is hard to find on it. 

Teather switches are all over ebay, amazon. The better ones are on racing sites. I use one that I bought for this purpose in 1996, but never opened the package till 2016. Its a ATV racing one made in Sweden. 

Our national rules have been revised as its has to be a teather that kills the motor. Nothing about being a magnet or being strapped to the wrist. I prefer it attached to my pants buckle. No stupid 5's this way.

I have seen the magnet fly off just by a hard hit. That would be reason enogh other motorsports never adopted the magnet. Dangerous as crap at speed.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 10:26 PM, stevec said:

My evil nemesis Dave makes these. The lanyards are really good. Bright colors so you can find them and non-elastic so they don’t launch or hit you in various sensitive body parts when they come off the bike. Dave makes a lot of custom bits like number plates, choke lever extenders and kickstand feet.

NOTE: Dave isn’t really evil it’s just that I can’t beat the guy. Even though I’m on a ‘20 EVO Factory and he’s on an ancient TY175. 😃

• Like 4

Getting back to the original question, I've never had a problem with a magnetic kill switch so I would not differentiate between Apico and Leonelli. I use the switch to disable my motor every time I stop, so IF the magnet ever came out it would be more likely to be when I am stopping rather than falling off. I wouldn't use the curly lead type sold for outboards as they are too stretchy and probably won't cut the motor unless you totally dismount.

My only issue with kill switches is the strap itself. Mine frayed for some reason and broke so it currently has a knot tied in it. Eventually I'll get round to replacing it. I really liked the link to Etsy but the postage costs more than the item so that's out.