Ossa 300 - fuel pump?

Johnno

Hi all 

I’ve just picked up an Ossa 300 - 2014. It’s got the updated battery pack helper on the front end with the AAA battery 

it’s got a decent spark, but it just won’t start

i cannot hear the fuel pump at all, ive cleaned the injector and tested that with a 9V battery and it’s working fine

when are you meant to hear the pump prime? First/second kick? I have the fuel line off the injector and nothing is coming out 

7 hours ago, konrad said:

The AAA-cell (Easy Start) won't run the fuel pump.  You need 12 volts to do that.

https://www.ossa-efi.com/home/chassis/fuel-pump

Wiring diagrams are on the website as well.

Thanks Konrad 

that’s a fantastic website, fair enough the AAA won’t run the fuel pump but when should the pump run? When I’m kicking the bike over with the fuel pipe removed from the injector I get no fuel coming out?

On 4/17/2024 at 1:18 AM, Johnno said:

...when should the pump run?

The somewhat flippant (but accurate) answer is: When the ECU tells it to.

Removing the pump is a total PITA.  I strongly suggest you test the pump with a 12-volt battery connected to the bike's diagnostic port.  A 2014 Explorer will have the 6-pin diagnostic connector.  See: https://www.ossa-efi.com/home/pc-software/diy-diagnostic-interface   Just connect a battery to the Batt+ and Batt- terminals shown.  The pump should run for a few seconds each time the battery is connected.

Eventually, you will want/need to build a complete diagnostic cable.

Edited by konrad

21 hours ago, konrad said:

The somewhat flippant (but accurate) answer is: When the ECU tells it to.

Removing the pump is a total PITA.  I strongly suggest you test the pump with a 12-volt battery connected the the bike's diagnostic port.  A 2014 Explorer will have the 6-pin diagnostic connector.  See: https://www.ossa-efi.com/home/pc-software/diy-diagnostic-interface   Just connect a battery to the Batt+ and Batt- terminals shown.  The pump should run for a few seconds each time the battery is connected.

Eventually, you will want/need to build a complete diagnostic cable.

Thanks again for the help

12V at the fuel pump connector did nothing so removed the engine and found the negative terminal on the pump snapped off, re spliced that and it’s running perfect now 

I cannot believe how frustrating the engine is to remove, I’m an aeronautical engineer and would prefer changing an RB211 than an Ossa 300 engine…..!!

3 hours ago, Johnno said:

I’m an aeronautical engineer....

Well, that makes you the perfect EFI OSSA owner.  Congratulations on the rapid repair.  Thanks for giving feedback.

Edited by konrad