TRS E-starter mechanism has loud metallic noise as it is switched off....

trevbul1

Hi all,

Has anybody suffered this and found the soloution? 2022 TRS One RR starts and runs normally but there is a VERY loud metallic 'clack' sound when you switch the engine off as everything comes to rest. The 'clack' is the last noise to be heard. Something to do with centrifugal pawls retracting maybe? Any thoughts gratefully received because something definately isn't right. This has only just started happening, it was all fine before.

Thanks for all comments and happy riding, Trevor

Horrible isn't it.  Sprag clutch, should continue to work until it doesn't and then you get to replace it.  Already had one go myself, it's the cost of having electric start.  Seems to be safe to still ride after the bearing blows, it doesn't seem to spew metal parts everywhere.

I she blows you can disconnect the starter by removing the idler gear very easy. (spur gear between the starter and the sprag)

Edited by lemur

4 hours ago, lemur said:

I she blows you can disconnect the starter by removing the idler gear very easy. (spur gear between the starter and the sprag)

Thank you. I looked at a YouTube TRS video and figured this might be the issue though I don't much like the idea of removing the starter motor in order to replace it. Weird though, my nearest main dealer (sounded like a genuine guy) said he had never heard of it happening. Your reply very much appreciated, cheers.

Well when mine went the dealer said he knew exactly what was needed and the parts were already in stock and he had done them before.  My TRS dealer helped me install the parts in a hurry because we wanted to go riding.  

• Like 3

Update on my post re my TRS starter mechanism making a loud knock as it comes to a stop.

Forum advice (thank you, everybody!) suggested replacing the sprag (non-return/ freewheel) bearing which was supplied promptly by Steve Saunders SXS in Gloucestershire.

The fault which develops is that the spring holding the pawls in the race stretches. A great shame that this design has not been improved and also that you cannot buy just the spring – the bearing and pawls are still perfect with no sign of wear or stress.

However what was not mentioned in the advice was that two of the pawls escaped from the bearing race whilst in transit and my ageing eyesight failed to detect that each pawl has striations on the outer surface that all need to face in the same direction – otherwise the bearing will grip in both directions, where it should only grip when rotated anti-clockwise.

It took my son-in-law’s keen eyes to spot my error and it would have been a lot easier had I known what to look for in the first place.

Hope this post might help somebody else in the future.

IMG_20240501_161333_002.jpg

UPDATE: Thanks to a member on the FB TRS Owners Group I have discovered that instead of replacing the entire £42 bearing race on a 2022 bike of approx 100 hours, it should have been possible to replace only the garter spring part no 52902 (labelled No 15 in the exploded diagram on the TRS website) at a fraction of that cost.
It seems that this spring is available on European TRS websites at 2,15 Euros but is not available as a part option on the SXS UK website. Do I have this information correctly, because if so I will buy it abroad if there is a next time! Just a heads-up for UK owners. I have written to SXS with this comment.

Rumor has it the spring is the same kind of spring used in oil seals.   Now if we can just find a source for those at a bearing supply store instead of a motorcycle shop 👍

My bike started to make a clunking stop rather than the usual whiz a few months ago and finally started to make horrible noises trying to start. Traced it to the free wheel bearing an mentioned above. The bearing was in good condition but the spring had stretched. Simple fix. Take the side case off, undo the centre bolt and pull the starter gear out and it's there. No need to remove the flywheel. 10 minute job. £40 for the replacement but it would be easy to just change the spring if you can get it. It's the same sort of spring as used in bearing seals but without knowing the original length it could be difficult to get it right. If your bike starts clunking on stopping I'd suggest replaceming before it gets worse. No sign of an other damage on mine but you never know, it could damage the other bearing surfaces.

IMG_6735.JPG

From what I've seen on my 2021 and 2023 bike, a rubber band or o-ring might even last longer.  imo the springs need to become available individually or it's impractical to own them.  That's what I will be telling my dealer and ya'll that own one should consider doing the same.

Edited by lemur

43 minutes ago, lemur said:

From what I've seen on my 2021 and 2023 bike, a rubber band or o-ring might even last longer.  imo the springs need to become available individually or it's impractical to own them.  That's what I will be telling my dealer and ya'll that own one should consider doing the same.

I did wonder if an o'ring would work better.