Sherco 290 05

spud plark

Hi All,

Got a slight problemo with my Sherco 290 05. About a week ago it started giving a massive kick back on starting. Ankle crunching, knee popping kick back, not normal. Yesterday when I got it started it was in reverse. When I stopped it and then got it running again in the correct direction it started leaking oil from the overfill, very little and clean. Stator is ok, flywheel woodruff key is ok, fuel and premix are as advised. Nothing had been done to the bike for this to start happening. When I do get it running and after running around massaging my knee like a little girl I ride it around and its perfect. Any suggestions please?

;)

The timing hasn't been touched and its still spot on factory spec. timing. Factory scour marks line up perfectly.

Nothing has been done to the bike for it to suddenly start behaving like this. The kick back is worse when cold but still can happen when warm. But now its quite vicious.

Once started the engine works a treat. If I delay the timing I'll bugger things up.

Strange!

When I started it in reverse the clutch plates were stuck. So when I kicked it into first I nearly left my front teeth as a hood ornament. Lucky it was a gravel surface.

Edited by Spud Plark

I'm 99% sure that the stator marks are a baseline setting,and the timing is controlled by one of the "black boxes" under the tank.You could try retarding it at the stator,which should stop the kickback and reverse running.Ididn't think the factory gave timing marks,my 04 290 didn't have.hope this helps,H

I have an `04.When i bought it, it kicked back every time,so much that it started to bend the kick start.Stator was faulty,since the new one was put on,its not done it since.Turning the stator plate will improve it.If you retard the timing,it will be "softer" at the bottom end.You just have to find the right setting for you.

On my bike,the scribed line goes to the right hand edge of the ally lug.

hope this helps

Steve ;)

PS oil from the overflow could mean compression escaping past crank seal causing to much pressure in gearbox.

Hope its not that mate.

Edited by gasgasssser

I know this is gonna sound strange, but I had a similar problem with my 04. It would kick back when starting in gear, but in neutral it would be fine. I had noticed that the clutch was dragging a bit, but had gotten used to it. I didn

I got the local dealer to have a look at it. They're puzzled as well. They retarded the stator a wee bit. It's still running fine but the kick back still happens, not that often now but when it does it's not nice. I'm not a light weight and I boot it through on the kick. No reversing so far.

Oil stopped leaking and the main bearings are fine.

One of those things I'spose. :blush:

But thank you all for your input. :)

Spoke to MRS and they said the symptoms are very likely a dodgy stator. The kick start is already slightly bent. So I'm getting a new stator next week, I can't retard the stator even more.

Mate, before buying a new stator, view my comments my this thread here, a rewound one is MUCH cheaper:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....opic=7522&st=15

Edited by Andy_290