Montessa 2000 Replica

hamster

hi all my mate bought the above bike i said i would help him give it a service as it his first bike problem is i own a beta and not sure of thing like changing the oil as it looks like a different method to the beta also how much do you put in as his clutch is dragging quite badly any other advice for servicing would be great eg fuel mix and such like cheers

hamster :)

Hello Hamster, the book says you require 0.52 litre for an oil change and recommends Elf HTX740, i use PJ1 clutch tuner oil in mine and have no problems with drag at all apart from stone cold. Fuel mix is 80:1, or 72ml in 5 litres of fuel. The drain plug is located the gear change side and is the crankcase bolt directly underneath the clutch cylinder, it has a larger washer on it than the rest. I change the oil in mine about every 15 hrs use. Hope all this helps.Richard.

I had to replace all the clutch disc on my 2002 315. Replaced them with a stock set of cork and fibre combination as I heard they had the most progessive feel. Steel disk were OK, but I roughed them up with 220 grip emory cloth. That's supposed to help retain a little oil and be less prone to stick. Used the recommenced ELF oil and the clutch works great now. I don't think just changing oil will solve the problem.

You might try just a good cleaning with some brake parts cleaner, and sand the steel disk. I would go with the ELF oil. That's what those clutches were designed to work with.