Help! Strange Engine Noise

andy_290

Hi All,

Last week towards the end of the trial, I started to hear a tap tap tap coming from my engine under throttle, it doesn't seem to get much faster when you accelerate faster, seems to stay the same kind of speed no matter what.

It's a kind of weird loud tap/clacking sound, I originally thought my mudguard was banging against the tyre as it's that kind of sound.

Doesn't happen at low revs and when it's revved out of gear (or in gear with clutch in) only when engaged and riding.

Engine pulls well and sounds sweet apart from this. It's done it all day today again and getting on my nerves big time.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Edited by Andy_290

my old sherco used to do that in 4th and 5th gear, but carried on going for a while fine, a mate of mine who rides push bike trials and who i used to tow said it was something about the split link going through the chain tensioner.

Bob

Ok, I don't think it's the chain now, it seems to have got a bit louder yesterday too (probably just me listening for it more) but if it were the chain, it would clack every time it went around wouldn't it? It only does it when the power is on, say for example, I'm going 20 mph between sections, it makes the noise and as soon as I come off the gas it stops, but the chain is still going round at the same speed without the noise.

Any more ideas peeps? Doesn't seem to affect the bike in any way, just want to find the problem before it costs me a fortune!

I don't know if this is any help! But it could be the front sprocket is worn and under power it is almost slipping possibly? once you let off the throttle it would still spin but wouldn't have the torque behind it right? (Just a thought!) But about the master link:

When the master link is taken out, put the split part at the top (rather than bottom because it's easier to work on of course). Then make sure your master link clip is put in from the front of the bike towards the back.. Or else it has a chance of catching and making a noise (or ripping the chain off!). It could be that because when you put on the power, the chain gets tight under pressure and could be causing the clip to grab instead of sliding over. I hope my rambles made sence and might give you some ideas :thumbup:

Sounds exactly like a worn (hooked) front sprocket. Have a look at the front sprocket. Does it look symetrical, or is it like an ocean wave (if you know what I mean). If it's worn, under power you hear this noise as it just grabs the chain as the chain releases on the under-side.

The front sprocket gets used approximately four times as much as the rear one when you think of it, and the pressure on it is much more than the rear, so it tends to go first.

Everybody always says replace your chain and sprockets together.

I would say never replace either sprocket without the chain, but you could possibly get away with new front sprocket and chain if the rear sprocket is still tidy.

You have to do it if you're running two rear wheels (unless you're made of money).

Andy

I posted the for you on the other post about chain length. I'm 99% sure this is your problem.

"So I'm wanting to get a new chain to fix the tapping coming from it (people on here have suggested seized/tight link is the cause)"

This is usually the split link that has worn more than the rest of the chain, check the roller after the split link for markings (lines on the roller).

Definitely worth trying a new split link anyway before you splash out on a new chain and sprockets.

Make sure you get the right size split link as well, there are a lot of different pin sizes.

Looking at my front sprocket tonight, it is slightly "hooked"

I don't know how much use the previous owner has given this chain, so for the sake of 18 quid i'll put a new one on.

I'm a proper noob regarding chains/half links/split links etc, don't know what people are talking about, just wish I could just buy a chain :thumbup:

Here ya go, not a great photo, but may give you an idea:

post-218-1144106384.jpg

This is totaly knackered. Took it too far really, but this was clicking like hell towards the end of the trial.

Put a new chain on it and chances are it would crunch and take the ends of half the teeth off.

turn the front sprocket around, see if the noise changes.

NOT a permanent fix, just a test.

If you get on it early, you can flip the sprocket over occasionally and get more use, but once the chain pitch distance wears, it rides up higher in the sprocket no matter how tight you try and make it.