What Oil...

unclebuck

do people use in their unit BSA C15 B40 Cub engined mounts? Monograde or multigrade? Mineral or castor based? I'm thinking of running mine on Castrol R40 as recommended to me but I'm not sure if this is overkill or not for trials (as opposed to scrambles or grrasstrack). :)

Also have people fitted external oil filters? If so, what and where did you mount it?

Any help/pearls of wisdom appreciated.

Cheers, Rob. :lol:

you'll love this unclebuck

i use only expensive Ipone in my beta and it blew up at the weekend..

in my cub which i ride at least twice a month i use Tesco value at 93p a litre in 18 months i'm on my third can bike runs true and strong had it in bits and its as clean as new inside

so for even my heavily used trials bike it still does less than three hundred miles a year including the half dozen road trials, which as far as oil goes must be a fairly easy life so Tesco Value oil gets my vote..

I would be interested in using an oil filter though but like you i've yet to see one mounted decently ( not really anxious about the oil been filtered it would just add capacity and cooling to the limited amount that the top tube tank holds)

Edited by totalshell

Hi UncleBuck

Castol R will smell fantastic, however its a vegetable based oil and was designed for high performance engines which usually have to be flushed out after each event otherwise it will block up oil passages. I use Castrol XXL40 in my cub solely cos the previous owner did, as they are only a basic engine I would imagine any oil will do provided you change it regularily.

I see you are in Surrey do you get to the saturday practice sessions at Betchworth?

triton

do people use in their unit BSA C15 B40 Cub engined mounts? Monograde or multigrade? Mineral or castor based?

It's an ongoing argument in vintage circles and you will often find equally experienced and knowledgable riders on opposite sides! Personally, I've been using multi-grade oils in vintage bikes for years and believe there's more "pros" then "con's" in using it...particularly with frequent changes, cold mornings, hot afternoons etc. You will usually find a concensus against using racing, non-detergent or synthetic oils with classic bikes in regular use though.

DH

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - 'cheap' multigrade it is then. I think I'll go for the 'green' stuff that is designed for 'older' engines. Basically similar to the old Duckams 20/50.

Next up - gearbox oil. What do people put in there? The same oil as in the engine or thicker gear oil, say 50 grade?

Cheers

UB