Clutch Woes

ksithumper

Hi, just bought a Beta Techno '98 and had my first play on it before I enter any trials - the last trial I rode was 28 years ago!

All seems fine but the clutch is very snatchy - on/off like a light switch, with no progression to the engagement.

Is this normal? Will a normal service (dismantle/clean up/new oil) sort it, or are there some special tricks I should know?

Cheers

Hi there, the clutch can be a nightmare to bleed there is a certain amount of play you can adjust with the little screw and nut on the clutch lever. the more you wind it out the quicker it will engage.

If you think the fluid needs changing you can do it the way i do or you might have to buy a proper bleed kit, (the vacuum one) around

WARNING..

i'll say its dangerous syphoning brake fluid, not only does it not do your stomach any good but as you were sucking on the pipe your more likely to get the stuff in your lungs and thats pretty much FATAL

i saw a mate end up in intensive care doing the exact same thing 18 years ago and he can barely breath now.. in fact if his next door neighbour and her husband had not been doctors i'm sure it would have been much worse!

• 4 weeks later...

I've drained the oil, which appeared to be ATF, not to dirty, and replaced it with PJI clutch tuner. The clutch is much less snatchy/ grabby. It got 50% better immediately, and 80% better after a days practice. I can now slip the clutch in turns, without bunny hopping along.

My conclusion is that ATF is insuficiently lubricating, and as the 'real' oil has soaked into the plates it has steadily improved the clutch. I plan one more ride, then another change to see if that sorts it. At present it's ok and rideable, but not yet buttery smooth.