Front Wheel Removal

jetset

TY250 Pinky

Can anyone shed any light on how to get the front wheel off without resorting to a lot of swearing and large hammers!?

I have one of the forks off which is the side which doesn't have the disc brake,this slid off easily after undoing the clamp.Ddoes the spindle on the disc brake side unscrew with the large star bolt or is removed another way?, If it unscrews using the large star bolt then I will get one to fit but wanted to make sure I wasn't barking up the wrong tree before I did. This is the last part of the bike to come apart before the rebuild can commence!! Thanks

Well I can't really think of any way to get a wheel off without a lot of cursing/screaming at it.. :beer: to be honest, I'm not sure how it comes off! (my bike has drum brakes).. but I'd think removing the caliper would be your first step. Your axle should come right out?? I might have misread your question :|

You have answered the question for me I think, the problem I was having was getting the spindle out, I did need to take caliper off anyway to put new pads in but that came off easily by undoing two bolts fixing it to fork leg. The disk itself is wobbling due to three of the fixing bolts having been snapped off so will have fun trying to get them out now!

I will get a torx screw key to fit then it should come off, I do seem to have what looks to be a redundant black speedo unit fixed to side opposite brake disc, does this serve a function other than to tell speed if it is connected, which it isn't? If not I might remove completely but think it would leave a space that would need filling by something else.

Cheers

Thanks for that Arun, Will give that a go tonight. That bloke off ebay who said he has my manual on cd seems to have vanished into thin air since saying he would sell me one! Think his name was John Cane (the TY guy) who sells loads of stuff!

Could have done with it and then I wouldn't have had to bother you guys!!

Never mind, will leave speedo thing on, not doing any harm.

Sent frame off for shot blasting and powder coat today so can concentrate on cleaning up the rest of the parts before I get it back and start to put it all back together.

Sorry, Duff Gen!! It's actually 12mm! :beer:

Just checked the paint and it is Faraway blue PY59 supplied through Padgetts. Vauxhall Breeze blue might be easier to find though and it's a perfect match as I have one of those touch up sticks.

you could always get a manual from Birkett motorsport (01229-716806) - they will also be able to give you the definitive answer to most of your questions eg oil/fuel ratios, tyre pressures etc. They are also a good source of spares, should you need them.