Indoor Trials Vs Supercross

nsaqam

Do you think that a World Class Indoor Trials Championship could be as popular in the U.S. as SX? I think it could approach SX levels. Witness the instant popularity of EnduroCross which has alot of trials DNA in it.

I just read that Jeremy McGrath signed a big deal with NBC to promote a $500,000 invitational SX type event to be held in October. This event is supposed to have some unique twists to it and not just be a SX race. How about piggybacking on something like this? What about an indoor style trial being held outside at the MX outdoor nationals? Captive audience, motorcycle people, interested MX competitors, raffles, demos. The local trials clubs could do what they always do and setup and run the event.

What do you folks think? I'd think if 30,000 people who were not previously exposed to trials saw even part of a trials event at least 1% of them would want to see more and participate. With 12 Nationals that's alot of exposure!

How about at the AMA Amateur National Championships?

This must have been discussed before and maybe it's even been done but I'd like to hear about your thoughts and experiences.

No doubt that A world championship indoor event piggybacked with SX or some other BIG motorcycle event would be cool, maybe Daytona, Sturgus or at the Vegas Endurocross? McGraths event has the biggest purse of all time for SX 500G's, which makes that event interesting. Of course they need to add TV coverage!

We did have an indoor trial in the USA, twice! It didn't have the top world championship riders only the NATC Pros. Year one it was popular, year two they had the same show, without much advertizing and near christmas so the event didn't build from the provious year. After that the organizers cut and ran because of a big finatual loss!

I've often thought about that as well but it takes time and $$$$$. A big purse would help draw the stars and of course world championship indoor points. Maybe the Cycle World motorcycle shows would also be a good piggyback?