Boy, Do I Want To Ride!

brad

Hey guys,

My first post on here.I've read alot of threads and there seems to be a good deal of knowledge on this site. I have a rare health problem that has kept me from riding for the last 20 yrs. I'll try and make a long story short and hope someone can help me.

I developed tinnitis (ringing in the ears, not so uncommon) and hyperacusis (the breakdown in tolerance to sound, uncommon and life altering) from an explosion when I was young. Degrees of Hyperacusis range from living in a sound proof basement not able to come out, to loud noises being uncomfortable.

I'm 45 yrs. old now and I think it's time to try and ride.I bought a 2003 Montesa 315r thinking low reving torquey motors will be quieter,but the stock exhaust is to harsh sounding. Are there any silencers out there that are real quiet, or has anyone ever modified bigger silencers to fit. I've been talking to Ben from Silent rider who makes 4 stroke atv silencers for hunting rigs,but he said a 2 stroke is more finicky than a 4, and will clog the silencer up quickly. I'm still thinking about trying his silencer and modify it as needed.If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys, Brad

Sorry to hear about your condition.. I can't offer you any help, but if you can't seem to get it as quiet as you'd like it to be you could go for a four stroke and then sneek up on people they're so quiet lol :P

hope you can find what you are looking for on the site :thumbup: (sorry for my uselessness haha)

Hey Brad, I don't have a link for you but there is a thing I've seen talked about on KTMTalk.com called the "Db Snorkel". It supposedly drastically reduces the sound level. It looks goofy but it attaches to the stock silencer. Go to the KTMTalk.com site and ask around I'm sure you will find what you need.

Welcome aboard

Ken

Don't think you are going to be able to quiet the bike muffler enough to eliminate your problem. There are many types of ear plugs on the market. They are cheap enough so many different ones can be tried. Your doctor could probably steer you toward the right one to overcome the problem. Good luck ! :P

I could recomend these ear plugs made by the high-fidelity company. I use them to play music in a band and we all use them and they work GREAT. I don't know if this would work for your situation because it might bug your ear in the helmet, but let me tell you.. these things rock.

371134.jpg

(borrowed image from that site)

Dispite being cheap, these things are truely amazing.. even if you can't use them for riding, it's worth checking out for everyday life for ya :thumbup:

(I picked mine up at the local music store, that's the only link I could find)

:P

Thanks for replying guys.

Yes, I did repack the stock cota silencer and not much quieter at all. I guess it was in good shape since the bike has not been ridden very much. I have given thought to buying another stock silencer and have it mated to the existing one, and will try if nothing else works. Thanks for the tip on the ear plugs I'll try them out. Right now I wear foam plugs and have installed small shooting muffs inside my helmet. The Db Snorkel sounds good, if it can

somewhat quiet a 500 cc 2 stroke, than maybe it can make the cota tolerable.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it works. Brad