Vhst Carb For Beta

carl ekblom

Last year I tried the VHST 26mm for my 250 -04 and found it to be a real improvement over the stock Mikuni.

I started this year with a new 270 -06 and have covered about 2 mounths of riding with the stock Mikuni and found that the new bike was difficult to handle. Riding with slipping clutch in 2nd gear was difficult and the general feeling of the bike was that it felt nervous.

Now, I have replaced the Mikuni with the VHST and covered about 10 hours of riding....and what a difference. 2nd gear riding with slipping clutch isn

Edited by Carl Ekblom

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

It is not the Beta factory part. Mine is a std carb bought from a local motorcycle dealer.

The bike revs out easily. It is more or less depending of finding the correct main jet size. 120 seems to be just about right.

I think that the 270-06 is the most powerful Beta ever. It certainly has more power than the 05 270.

Carl

With the VHST carb the exhaust note of the Beta changes to be more like a gasgas or sherco :D . The dull Beta sound is almost gone. Dull exhaust sound is generally an indication of fat mixture or a carburation problem. Perhaps the Mikuni needs a leaner (2.5) throttle cut away. But I guess that would cause more pinging problems. Anyone knowing? After a couple hours of riding today I have noticed that it

• 4 weeks later...

Jetting update:

Main 115

Pilot S38

Idle mixture screw two turns out

Needle D47 4th groove from top

Needle Jet 272H

Throttle 50

Float valve 250

Choke 70

Cold starting problems is cured and I feel this jetting offers better performance than the previous 120 main/S37 idle at all throttle openings.

Parking downhill or long steep downhill runs is no problem with this carb.

Carl

• 1 month later...

For those who are intrested.....

I felt that the mixture was slightly rich at small throttle openings so I changed the throttle from 50 to 55 (=slightly leaner) and got better throttle response and a cleaner, less dull :thumbup: exhaust sound which is an indication of more effective combustion.

Current jetting:

Main jet115

Pilot jet S38

Idle mixture screw 1.5 turns out

Needle D47 4th groove from top

Needle Jet 272H

Throttle 55

Float valve 250

Choke jet 70

Carl

The one carls got is on the same side- picture of one on the <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> site. Going to order one tomorrow and give it a try, bike was a nightmare again today - should have ordered it 4 weeks ago wish i had now. If this does nt work back to Gassers for me

Hi Carl, many thanks for all the information, I will write down everything you have said so when I order it tomorrow I know what I need to order ie jet sizes etc. Looking for ward to the bike running like my last Beta did or even better. Have noticed as have two other mates of mine the 06 seems not to be as well put together as the 04's and earlier Betas we have had. Main reason we buy Beta's over the Gasser has been the build quality and reliabilty, not so sure now any of us. May be changing steeds at the end of the year to sherco or Gasgas

Thanks again

Would nt wish this one on my worst enemy mate, really need to find out tomorrow whats wrong, hopefully the carb swap will rule out reeds/engine exhaust problems. I measured everything today against my mates 06 - mines no different at all, same jets - needle height and size - tangs same etc etc, begining to think the problem is else where. Still chucking fuel out even with all the mods done correctly???????????? I will pm you tomorrow with the quarry location if it gets launched

See what its like tomoorow? if no good will call Steve and see if he can have it for a few days. And your right about in the mind, some of it could be but if thats the case it will have to go I think, ran better today after the 300th time the carbs been off and reset but does tend to run ok in the garden but not when its at the quarry. Really hope we can sort it tomorrow between us all,