Unicycle!...... Help

lastplacebrad

I got a unicycle for my birthday last september and after a week of trying igave it up as a bad job and everytime the wife enters my private place(the garage!) she gives me loads of grief about not using it so im gonna give it another go.

Any tips would be very gratefully recieved, i dont have any long handrails to use although i could always cobble something together at work if this is the only way to do it!!

Cheers :thumbup:

As I have not ben successful, I do not know if I should offer advice, but I will anyway :thumbup:

I have tried a number of things (read line 1 though) but the most promising thing, and it makes the most sense to me, is to take a shopping cart, and push it around, as you progress, you can push it forward, then ride up to it and catch your balance again.

Some things I will add. It seems much easier on the Trials Uni's with the fat tires. I tried with the sticks (canes) and damn near impaled myself. I thought it would be easier in the grass (slower) but do better on the street.

Unicycle.com says that it takes about 40 hours. I believe them.

I know the kids took about that long, but they do not think it did because they were pushing each other, and having a good time.

I just about learned to ride a unicycle years ago. I could go quite some distance before it all went wrong. The way I learned was to have a mate with a broom shank that I held onto (just one hand). This gives you something to push and pull against while your body figures out how to do it. You don't ride a unicycle in a straight line - its a seies of curves and you have to use your backside and upper body to steer/balance. While your butt is turning left your upper body is turning right. Top fun though. I found a hard surface easier to ride on but a soft surface was much easier to land on :thumbup: And I padded the seat cos it hurts if you come off the back - and I ain't talking about when you hit the deck...

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

The best way to learn is on flat floor.

You need a wall to hold youreself and very thin tyres.

A trials unicycle is very very hard to learn because of the fat tyre.

You better buy a very cheap one to learn ore use maximum tyre pressure.

Fore trials you need to put the saddle verry low, but to learn you heve to put it high.

I hope this wil help you.

Greetz from Holland