1. 1. I like the route I ride to be :-

• A challenge and very tough
    • 50/50 challenging and easier
    • Quite easy and low risk. If I drop 10 marks I have had a bad day

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones who want to ride around for clean all day would never admit it.

The rest doesn't surprise me too much. I'd say most people do want a bit of a mix. Only normally the top experts who want it tougher. Everyone else has the option to ride up a class if they want it harder, unless of course they're pot hunting.

We ran a trial last year "The Australian Masters Games" where the sections had 4 lines. At the start of the section was a colour flip board to allow the riders to show the observor what line they were going to ride. If the rider rode the hardest line then they incurred only their normal riding points. If they rode the next hardest route they incurred 1 point penalty on top of their riding score. If they rode the third hardest line they incurred 2 additional points added to their score. If they rode the easy line they scored 3 additional points to their riding penalties.

This system worked very well and now the Canberra trials Club is organising a trial using the same system. We are organising next years Australasian Masters Games and will be using the same system as it was very well accepted by the riders.

For those riders who are wondering what to do next October we are organising to have the Australian Championships one weekend, the Australasian Master Games on the Wednesday and the South Australian Championships on the following weekend. Five days of trials in nine days, are you good enough?

.....If the rider rode the hardest line then they incurred only their normal riding points. If they rode the next hardest route they incurred 1 point penalty on top of their riding score ........

What about people who normally ride the second route? if they ride a route harder do they get points knocked off?

Just out of interest, I've been back over our last 18 Stratfrod club trials (yes I know... I need to get a life!) And the average number of riders on each route is:

A route 12.3

B route 27.6

C route 15.1

(Our worst entry during this period was 42 and the best was 76)

The percentages work out as:

22% of riders entered the A route

50% of riders entered the B route

27% of riders entered the C route

(plus a couple of TY80 on the D route which we dropped in 2003 but are trying again this year)

I'm not going to work out average scores, but to sumarise. In almost every one of these 18 trials the winner on all three routes lost under 10 marks. Quite often the last placed man on all three routes lost over 100.

I wish we could set out just one route to cater for everyone, it would make the course plotters, the secretary, the observer and the riders lives so much easier.

But.... would we still get the guys who lost 100 on the C route? Would we still get the Experts who lost 3 or 4 on the A route?

We can't afford to loose anyone otherwise the trials become uneconomical to run. I'm sorry to say a minimum of three routes will have to continue, however I am open to any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

i voted 50/50 because i like to go to a trial and them not to be to easy but not too hard either so come away and feel as though it was challenging but i tried my best and really enjoyed it.