Mont 315 2004 Cold Starting

koevoet

I have just bought a 04 315R. I am having problems getting it to start when cold,it seems to be taking a good 15 minutes of kicking (choke on fuel on,then choke off tap off to clear cylinder..)then eventualy having to drop the bolt out of the bottom of the carb and drain before it eventually runs,then as soon as I put it in gear it leaps forward and stalls (but starts easily again!).The bike has been sitting at a dealer for a couple of months,is it just my lack of familiarity or is it just needing a new plug.Any help advice would be gratefully recieved! Also had a problem when the clutch the other day. It seemed to fail to disengage, I could run around with the clutch pulled in and the bike still kept going (thats only happened once and I managed to get that going again). :thumbup:

seems like it is in need of a service

the book recommends 75-1 petrol / oil

1 clean the air filter and air filter box

2 replace plug

3 drain oil from clutch

4 remove clutch plates and lightly with 800 grade emery rub both metal and fibre plate

5 refit clutch and refil with oil

hope this helps

cheers :thumbup:

Thanks for that. The bike was just picked up a couple of weeks ago from a dealer.It was supposed to have been "serviced and ready to go". I do have my doubts as the first thing I had to do when i took the bike out of the van was grease the rear axle as it was bone dry! But having said that I did see the mech drain the gearbox and replace the oil,the air filter had been out too,not sure what else they had done though. I will change the plug anyway,How easy is it do deal with the clutch? It has also not been run much,as i said I think its been in the dealers for a good couple of months and I have only managed to have it out for a couple of hours and the clutch was fine apart for 5 minutes the last outing (although when cold it will leap forward when first put in gear!).

will give all that a go. Cant deal with it at the moment though as I am away from home. Thanks for the help.much appreciated. I have a manual at home so I will have a read through about doing the clutch myself. Just wish that I had had more time to try it out whilst home..next time though! :thumbup:

My '04 takes one priming kick with choke on full, then one kick and it fires everytime. The clutch will drag when cold. I disengage and engage the clutch while warming the motor (3-4 minutes) to get oil into the plates and that pretty much neutralizes the drag when engaging the transmission.

I'd suggest pulling the carb and thoroughly clean it, pull the jets and blow out all the fuel and air passages with compressed air. Make notes of the air screw setting, jets, and needle clip position while you're in there.

Change plug - because they're cheep and can be an "invisable" source of problems.

Clean air cleaner.

Inspect the clutch condition and replace the oil with Silkolene, Elf, or PJ1.

Bleed the hydraulic clutch just to make sure there is no air in the lines.

Wouldn't hurt to clean the silencer core and replace the packing either.

Check the coolant and replace it if needed.

Then inspect, clean, and grease your wheel and swingarm bearings and you should have a sound trustworthy bike.

Establishing a baseline will a new bike pays off in the future.

FWIW - Castrol TTL at 80:1 with 100 oct fuel works well for my bike.

Hope you enjoy your 315 as much I am!

Thanks for that SSig, I am looking forward to getting a chance to ride the bike properly.I still need to see about joining a club,this is my first trials bike so its going to be a whole new experience.I was going to give the bike a good going over next time home, as you say to establish a baseline.The bike looks mint and once running sounds and feels sweet,except for that initial clutch drag when cold and the (so far) one off instance of the clutch not disengaging.so I dont really invisage any serious issues,that was my main reason for going for the mont in the first place (Honda / HRC!).

Need to figure out if I'm going to join the Edinburgh and District or Lanark clubs though...

Any other advice for a soon to be over forty novice!? :thumbup:

Thanks for your advice :thumbup:

Any other advice for a soon to be over forty novice!? :wub:

Thanks for your advice :D

48 year old trials novice here.

Peg time! Trials to me is micro-management of weight, energy, suspension, steering imput, clutch, throttle, and brake modulation compared to off-road and street bikes. Truely a challenging sport in all aspects.

I try to ride every night half-hour to and hour, luckily I have a little area in my backyard and the bike is quiet enough that my neighbors have no problem. Slowly through repetative practice of small challenges its starting to come together. Basically I'm focused on building a pyramid of skills that I can apply to effectively navigate a section without completely embarassing myself. :wub:

It's a slow initial learning curve, but for the most part, everyday I get a little better, learning from the tasks that give me difficulty and repetitiously practicing the skills that cause the problem- thus the challenge.

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

A bit too profound that for me ssiegmund

Sorry, I have a babbling problem directly realted to enthusiasm.

I know from expeience that petrol does 'go off' over a period of time however.

Yep, I left out one of the obvious causes.

315 clutches are notorious for not releasing and/or dragging.

In stock form they are sensitive to proper/fresh oil, right?

...........1st and 2nd......dont ask!

You're baiting us.......Come on give it up!

Ferret,thanks for that. The fuel was fresh and the bowl had also been emptied when the bike was serviced as I saw that too and I have done it myself every time I have tried to start the bike from cold.Looks like I am going to have to open up the clutch then..is there much involved in that,ie simple DIY maintenance?Where is the best place to get your dimpled sureflex doo dahs then, Sandifords?

You work away..ur not another offshore wallah are you? In which case I know what the other two things are

1. Going to church

2. washing the car.......

no! then I have no idea what they could be.... :thumbup: