Cairo - Anybody Been?

Andy

Andy

I've worked out in Egypt a couple of times and stayed in Cairo. The people are very friendly and the place pretty safe for westerners. The hotels are mostly of a very high standard and include valet services who will give you good advice and arrange taxis and the like. Watch out for the coffee! It could easly be used as wallpaper paste.

If you have some time off go the Gaza its a must. Just stick to wandering round on foot, you can wander round the pyramids the sphincs (sp) and go inside the main chambers. I once took a camel out in to the desert to see the pyramids from a different angle and was fleesed for the privilage (always haggle and stick to your guns.) To stick to the subject watch out of people trying to sell you anything at the tourist spots. They are very persistant and you end up having to be rude just to get left alone. If you have more time the main museum is also great.

Well spotted Tim. I did indeed mean Giza. Andy is getting about a bit though so the Gaza strip could come up. He's in security you know. (internet)

For those geographically challanged the Gaza Strip is nothing do to with an over weight ex-footballer.

:thumbup: To fully enjoy your visit to the Pyramids and the Sphynx it's best to be forewarned:

As stated before the street sellers do not take' NO' for an answer .

When someone thrusts a bottle of frozen water into your hand at a reasonable price CHECK THE SEAL! seems obvious now but wait until you are gasping hot at the coach park (THE hottest, dirtiest place on earth).

Make no mistake--you've never had the sh**s until you've had the Egyptian sh**s.

The camel ride is a never ending scam...negotiate a fully inclusive price first(return trip! /photos etc..).

Camels are the most disgusting,spitting,slobbering,belch-bags (next to their owners of course).

If you personally hire a guide at the Pyramids (instead of joining a larger tourist group) you WILL be testing your memory (TOM TOM can't help) when your guide takes you down into one of the anti-chambers and demands more cash to guide you out!!

Like most countries the real people are warm and genuine but those 'hawks' which gather around the tourist hot spots give the rest of the population a bad name.

High points?..I enjoyed the National museum and the Papyrus museum.

As said in an earlier post if you go to the tourist spots like the sphinx and Giza pyramids the sellers dont take no for an answer, they will put things in your bags on your head and tell you its a present but guess what? you try and walk away and they kick up a major fuss.

My mate has got the gift of the gab and thought he would start to barter with one before you know it he had about ten around him, we ended up near on running back to the coach to get away from them.(even the guards around the Pyramids are corrupt).

We went in September and nearly melted god help you this time of year, I recomend you take a good fan.

(even the guards around the Pyramids are corrupt).

:thumbup: Corrupt!!....corrupt!!..Do not take your lass on a visit to the Pyramids.

I was informed that the security guards at the tourist sites had pistols for visual deterrent but were not competent enough to be allowed ammunition.

In the Pyramids there are a few crossover points for chambers, stairs and passage-ways, they are dimly lit and are tricky underfoot. The Guards gather at these points to grope the female tourists ( they are supposed to be assisting the tourists).

They tried it on with my 'Lady' so I flipped ( yeah,yeah, I know,'Geordie on tour' stereotype) and ended up looking at an old pistol in me face, knowing it was unloaded I grabbed it and threw it away.

When I got outside there was a huge crowd of people gathered and in the centre was a Security guard sitting in a puddle of claret ( he'd accidentally shot himself)???!!!. :D .......then I got the shakes..big time.

Mind how you go Andy.