Gearbox Help

shercogeezer

Hi, at the weekend when riding I lost my gears after dropping the bike. I now only have 2 gears (1st and 2nd), if I rock the bike I can get 3rd and 4th but not whilst moving. I instantly came up with the most common idea, which is that the selector spring has broken or distorted as the selector has tension one way but is

Sounds as though you are looking in the correct area and have a good idea how to do it.

The skill cheat is to use a 3/8 drive air impact wrench to remove the clutch hub nut without requireing a special holding fixture.

Be sure to mark the nut and shaft so that you may reinstall to same torque position or ever so slightly more.

I believe the torque spec is 45ft/lb or 60nm but that is impossible to do with a torque wrench and no holder.

Do not jam anything in between the gears to try to hold it!

Hope that helps! :thumbup:

ps- by "impact" I mean the gun type that turn very fast, not an air ratchet which turns slow. You have to zip it off and back on to keep other things from turning!

Edited by copemech

Shercogeezer,

If you have return of the gear lever to the neutral position, then the spring won`t be broken.When it`s broken the lever sits down on the bashplate, and usually the broken piece of spring finds its way into the nearest gear set, and does as much damage as possible.Recommend not starting it, if the gear lever is floppy. Sometimes the weld on the gear selector arm to shaft lets go, and causes selection problems. Easy to check before pulling clutch basket off.

Assume you have checked that the levers not bent, and hitting the plastic sprocket cover , before it gets enough travel to pick the top four gears.

Cheers

ShercoH

Hi thank you for your replys. The lever is not bent as to my knowledge but will check again that everything is ok. I must admit that i found it a little strange that the lever has tension one way but not the other, (it has tension down i.e to 1st) I thought his could possibly be a distorted spring rather than a broken one?? As if it was broken i would imagine that you would hear it in gearbox?? I don't know though.

I will look into the broken weld though as that seems like an possible cause.

Thanks again guys.

Miles

P.s. Do you think/know that i will be able to get to the selector arm and spring etc... by removing the clutch cover and basket? Will it be behind there or will i need to remove whole right hand crankcase cover, kickstart, waterpump etc?

Shercogeezer,

Sometimes the weld on the gear selector arm to shaft lets go, and causes selection problems. Easy to check before pulling clutch basket off.

Assume you have checked that the levers not bent, and hitting the plastic sprocket cover , before it gets enough travel to pick the top four gears.

Cheers

ShercoH

I think this is the most likely fault... my mate smacked the gear lever on his 02 Sherco a few years ago and ended up with the same selection problems you have described.

When we opened up the side casing we found the weld on the selector arm had cracked just as above.

My money is on Howard's diagnosis!

Definately sound like the weld. You`ll have to remove the main case with the water pump and then the clutch basket. The selector is clearly visible, and is easily removed. Make sure you weld it in exactly the same spot, as it will place the gear lever in a different position if you don`t. The main clutch hub nut must not be overtightened, as it will shrink the bore that the actuator rod operates in and causes a slow acting clutch operation.

ShercoH

Definately sound like the weld. You`ll have to remove the main case with the water pump and then the clutch basket. The selector is clearly visible, and is easily removed. Make sure you weld it in exactly the same spot, as it will place the gear lever in a different position if you don`t. The main clutch hub nut must not be overtightened, as it will shrink the bore that the actuator rod operates in and causes a slow acting clutch operation.

ShercoH

Man, I bet that one took some head scratching and some "what the heck is going on here" time spent over a bike laying on it's side to figure out what happened.

Hi again, been away this weekend so didnt get a chances to read your replys. All very helpful and i plan to start work on the bike tomorrow as i'm not at college anymore. Will be sure to weld it accuratly then!!

Any other help to do with any part of this job will be greatly appreciated.

Will keep you posted on my little dilema.

Cheers guys!

Miles

• 2 weeks later...