Sherco Kids 50

madman

Front Fork servicing 03.

This task requires a 14 MM Allen Wrench to get the plastic plugs out of the top of the forks.

It also requires 140ml of the appropriate wt. Oil for each fork leg. I used 2.5 wt.

In stock form, the front forks protrude over the top of the triple clamp .2

Hi alan just to let you know i got the forks serviced stripped them down and was shocked to find very little oil left in them but a fair bit of rusty water. Looks like i need to stick to a better maintainance schedule. also there was no oil seals only a dust seal luckily i had some seals from the beta that fit perfectly so i put them in. The forks feel like they do somthing now other than bounce up and down like they did. also did the beta ones but they were in good condition just drained the oil and refilled em.

Hi alan sorry for late reply been working out of town

Im not sure on the year of the bike it had the poxy swing arm which ive changed to the grey strenghened one. the forks are not quite as you described they are pressed steel yolks and no plastic caps on the top instead they are bolted at the top( where the plastic caps would be) into some nuts welded in to the top of the fork legs ive had the bike about 18 months now and thaught it was circa 2003 but it maybe '02 or even '01. it was in as new condition when i purchased it so wasnt easy to identify the year. :rolleyes:

I am betting (from your description) that you are working on an 01 or 02 and they had greased front forks, not oil filled, which would explain why there were no seals etc.

The instructions were for the 03 and later models which had the oil filled ones.

Never was able to get any info on how much grease was supposed to go in the earlier ones.

I will say that we could replace the middle east if we just had a couple of those things, they just keep pumping that grease out of a bottomless pit it seems.

Anyway, there was no valving or anything in those if memory serves me to make it work like an oil filled shock. I think you may experience some problems on the next couple of outings.

On those, I just disassembled, cleaned well, and liberally greased everything. Then I installed neoprene fork boots over the sliders so I did not get greasy every time I handled that thing.

I never did sit down and write the instructions for those.

lad used bike yesterday. you were right alan lots of oil has appeared on the forks and is running down the legs. looks like i will have to drain the oil out and regrease them :D :

Edited by madman