Ty-s125f Fyi And Opinions

donmurray

FYI and opinions on a new TY-S125F

My new Long Ride came with a 105 main jet which may be fine. It did have a 15 pilot jet instead of the preferred 17.5. If you order new jets, order a new float bowl gasket also. The bowl and gasket can be stuck hard and it's difficult to save the old gasket. I had to tap a thin sharp object between the bowl and body to get it separated.

The idle mixture screw is very difficult to get to. You have to move some cables out of the way to see it. From the right side you can get a very short/shortened driver in there, but one of those 90 degree geared drivers is best. Perhaps a driver bit for a small rachet handle would work.

Mine came with the Magura hydraulic clutch, but the clutch is not progressive enough for a clutzy rider. Has anyone experimented with one of the synthetic oils that have friction modifiers? I know they are not recommended for bike clutches, but I wonder if the slicker oil might soften the clutch latch point. I plan to install a slow throttle spool and a 10 tooth sprocket so I'm less dependant on clutch work for slow stuff.

The head pipe paint was not high temp stuff, and the first 200mm melted instantly on startup.

Starter crank hits the brake pedal at the bottom of its stroke. Some careful work with a small hand held grinder can shape the bottom of the brake lever to conform with the starter crank shape. Position, mark, grind, repeat until I finally got more clearance. They still touch, but no real hard contact.

The rear tire is not tubless. Could be vulnerable to tube pinching if riding with low pressure over hard stuff.

The seat is low but still useful for old guys or weak legs.

Runs a long time on a tank of gas.

Fun bike to ride. I like the sound and feel of the 4 stroke engine. This might be the ultimate play bike. The engine does not have the snap of a good 2 stroke trials bike, so if you want power for a hard launch or a long steep climb it may not be the best choice.

Don,

The magic you are looking for, to cure the clutch, can be found at B&J Racing.

Link: http://www.bjracing.com/SY125.htm

On this page, you will see reference to "Clutch Plate Machining". It is not clear, but what you want is Bob's new coumpound disks, in conjunction with the plate machining. When I got mine, it came as a kit with everything included.

I rode a SY175F all last year. In competition, the old clutch setup just wouldn't cut it. After the kit was installed, clutch action was fantastic.