Message For Boyd/jrsunt

rev`er

The best tune-up on any bike once they get a year or two old is a new center box and rear exhaust, bit spendy but well worth the $$ to get her running like new.

New the bikes can breath properly, the whole system is clean and the correct volume of exhaust is allowed into the chambers, after time build-up of oil and carbon the system volume changes so we start tweaking jetting and other stuff to compensate, carb, reeds, straight pipe and time to dial it all in probably won't give as good a results or a better price than the exhaust change.

mines virtually standard, Changed to renthal bars, the origional bars were too wide for me, couldn't reach on really tight corners, and renthal chain, short ajp levers (i prefere the feel), geared it up by 2t off the rear sprox. 1st gear for most stuff now. I left the baffle in the exhaust, (got plenty of power for me). Obviously taken the restrictors out and put the jet kit in.

Jitsie Kevlar fork protectors, Braybrook off road accesories, filler cap, oil filler cap, hebo footrests. Dunlop tyres and apico sx rated brake pads.

I eased the spring rate off a litttle to give a softer feel on the forks, the rear i have left alone, quite happy with that. Well after all that i guess its not virtually std.

I have to agree with Sunt, i leave the carburation as it is, just run decent fuel and premix oil, I leave the gearing as standard, (although i do change it for the scottish for the road work.) Jet kit has been put in like sunt.

I have taken the rear baffle out of the back pipe and run a straight through, also the rear shock is jacked up a bit cos i'm a bit of a fat lad - which is probably the only difference between mine and sunts bike (And if you look at us two stood together, you will see why i need a bit more power)

I also run renthal bars, Iris chains, Jitsie fork guards, REP oil/petrol cap, hebo footrests and dunlop tyres.

Thanks Chaps !.

I wanted someone to highlight that you don't need to do anything to a 315 to make it competitive.

I'm probably one of the worse culprits for messing with the machine, but then I don't ride as much as I would like, and I haven't got any great ambitions about my trials riding.

There's a lot of p*ssing about changing stuff that gets reported through this thread and I think it gets a bit misleading at times.

Most of the mod's aren't really necessary, and the money would be better spent on Boots, Tyres and practice, if you want to improve your results.

Me - I'm beyond help :rolleyes:

Edited by Subira

Subira you have hit the nail on the head!

Riders tend to alter carburation etc to what others say, this may work well for one bike and totally the opposite for the other, it always depends on the bike you get initially, from brand new a bike can be a total pig! and run like a sack of 5hit.

However when people meddle with there bike do they know what they are doing and do they know what response they want from changing certain elements.

At the end of the day it all boils down to time spent riding a bike, the more you work at it the better you get, but you have to look at other riders and techniques and try and incorporate them into your riding style.

Doug and Shaun didn't get where they did today buy putting fancy new bits on there bikes or by fine tuning the bike (to an extent they have done) but what has made them into the talent they are is the practise and time they have spent on the bike.

That last statement about doug and shaun by boyd, is what ive tried to tell Wonder Boy a million times but he doesnt believ me!!!

so i think ill go for the iris chain, drop 2teeth in the sprkt and put a staight tube in it

that should do nicely

thanks alot guys

chris

Hmm, not sure if someone has already said this, but...

I dont see much point in asking other riders for there mod's to the bike, you might do these mods and find out the bike is nothing to what you would expect, and you could really dislike the feel...result? Waste of money, time and effort.

You have to ride the bike, and see what your likes/dislikes are and work around them, everyone as different opinions of there bikes and what they prefere, these do differ.

However, you can get a good idea of what you might want to change from here, but test it out first rather then making such big changes.

He likes my bike more to the point. But i love power and grunt and will not go back ever. When i got my engine re-build i got a (racing tuned- cyclinder) and i have also got a kiehin on the bike. I have got us to the bike this way and love it.

Some people have tryed my bike at trials and dont like it as i dont like there bike the seem flat to me.

Chris make your one modificatons to your bike and you'll fine out when your happy with the bike or not.

Gavin

Does the -Power Core, straight tube for Montesa muffler-- does make any difference to the bike.

JRSUNT; when you say youve had the restrictors out, what does that mean, can it be done easily or is it a mechanics job??

if i add 1 tooth to the front, and put aktive reeds in it with a straight tube will i feel a huge difference or just a wee bit, on gavins bike his keihin carb makes a whole load of difference to the perfomance and i really like that so maybe i should just go for the carb????

cheers

chris

on gavins bike his keihin carb makes a whole load of difference to the perfomance

The Keihin on Gavin's bike was previously fitted to my bike ;)

I now run the 26mm Dellorto PHBL which is the standard carb, having tried the Keihin and also the new 'flat slide' Dellorto 26 VHST. The bike goes great with the factory jetting, so don't dismiss the standard carb - as it's going to cost you over