Kill Button Wiring

neonsurge

I'm about to replace the standard kill/lights switch block on my bike with a Yamaha-type 2-wire kill switch, but can't for the life of me remember how to wire it up (apart from the earth connection!). I'm a bit of an electrical disaster area so the last time I did this I wrote everything down and drew diagrams etc.... predicatably, I've lost that piece of paper now. I'd like to remove all of the superfluous lighting gubbins while I'm at it so if anyone can remind me what needs to be disconnected where and what needs to be wired to what, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, I eventually managed to get that nasty standard switch unit working semi-reliably by disassembling it, enlarging the holes that the buttons go through slightly with a needle file (to eliminate the sticking problem), and sealing all of the contents in place with silicon. Thing is, I want (need!) a bar pad so the standard unit's got to go.

One wire from your new kill switch is attached to the frame. You could use the Triple Clamps but then you are relying on getting an electrical connection through the grease and bearings in the Headstem. The other wire joins into the wire running to the coil. This should be normally Black and may have a white trace. I will check this tonight. You should be able to find the wire running to there currently and just unplug that wire and connect the new wire.

No the major problem.

The Bar Pad is easy to fit.

1. Loosen the bolt from one side of the cross brace.

2. Remove the bolt from the other end of the cross brace.

3. Tilt cross brace bar up.

4. Slid cover over cross brace.

5. Replace cross brace back into holder and replace bolt.

6. Tighten other bolt.

7. Have a beer and wonder why you couldn't figure this one out. :o

Some people shouldn't be let near spanners. :blink:

Y'know I really wish I hadn't mentioned the bar pad thing! My main reason for wanting to do this is the unreliability of the standard switch unit, honest! :D

7. Have a beer and wonder why you couldn't figure this one out. :o

Some people shouldn't be let near spanners. :o

Ain't that the sad truth :blink::o