West Coast Youth National

sirhc

Mr. Bill put on another great West Coast Youth National at Donner Ski Ranch, the problem is not too many got to ride this awesome venue as turn out was pretty light.

I said something about in Lane's place, but for those that don't venture there I ask what would make all those that went to the Y.N. in Tennessee come out to one of the best trials places in the world for this event. I hope you don't just say it is too far as ten Ca. kids went to Tenn. and Donner was a ten hour drive for us here in Southern California. Chad Redman traveled the most since he went to both and he is from Oregon!.If Tenn. and Donner where part of the championship series would you guys then come out? Was the event just not promoted enough and you guys didn't know about it? Does it need to be with a adult national for you to make the drive? Next year from what Mr.Bill said the classes should be the same as the TTC so maybe that may bring some out. I would just like to hear any ideas on what would make the event the success it should be.

Bill does a fantastic job and is really working hard to help promote youth trials. He is a great blessing to all of us and really helped with both big events (World Round and Youth) in TN this year, as well as for all the youth events at all the nationals across the country.

In my opinion, it would dilute things excessively to ask people to travel with their family and kids across the continent 2 times in order to compete for some championship title. After all, they are only children and families have only so much vacation time to devote to the sport.

I would advise that the West Coast event be structured to be DIFFERENT from TN rather than a duplicate event! This could raise the appeal in a different way rather than doing another event of the same thing. The big draw for the TN event is to have a week long family vacation with lots of activities and the competition simply caps it off. It is the Loretta Lynn's of trials. Think about it, the motocross kids have several events each year and each one stands on its own and is slightly different from the others. Besides LL in TN, there are mx events for youth in OK, NV, FL (at Thanksgiving) and all are well attended.

It seems to me that the big attraction for the west coast event is the connection with the El Trial. Perhaps it could be tied in more closely in some way. Perhaps make it a big event for teenagers up to age 18 or something. This would've been great with Pat & Cody this year. Perhaps focus it to be a 125cc championship event with different age-based classes up to age 18. You could also have an 80cc championship and a 50cc championship. And keep it connected with the El Trial, maybe even run it simultaneously. This would give the whole event a unique flavor all it's own. Just brainstorming here.

I'd very much like to see this be a successful and well attended event. I feel badly that other obligations prevented me from attending this year, but next year I will make a strong effort to keep my calender clear for it.

It would be great to hear other ideas. I'm sure Bill will be at the NATC meeting in the fall and we can discuss things together.

regards,

dan

Las Vegas over New Years :blink: I'm sure there must be a place near Las Vegas we could have the El Trial and youth.....something, over new years. I think it's a great tradition to start, the kids are out of school. Yet I'm sure they would just complain it was too close to Christmas. Bah hum bug

focus it to be a 125cc championship event with different age-based classes up to age 18. You could also have an 80cc championship and a 50cc championship.

And keep it connected with the El Trial.

This would give the whole event a unique flavor all it's own. Just brainstorming here.

regards,

dan

That's one excellent idea Dan!

Dan those are some good ideas on different things to do and I kind of had some of the same thinking to make it a youth extravaganza or what ever since the Y.N. is the established family camp as well the national championship at the main trials venue in the U.S....not to mention a fun event for the whole family.

As far as the events so close together, they need to be during the summer when kids are out of school.

I would still like to hear what would bring the other families out west. Would having it around New Years or Thanksgiving (a good reason not to have to go to the in laws :blink: ) as motocross does help? Of course that would take out Donner unless we are doing snowmobile trials :o

We don't want to take anything or anybody away from the Y.N. as we will always go to both I would just like to know what would make more families to the same.

I do not know what it would take for us. I know this past year it would just take more Vacation then I had. As it was I had to come sit at my desk for 2 days and depend on the graciousness of my Trials friends who stepped up and looked after my kids. As it was I had to take P time for 2 days I think and upper management was not the least happy about that. Fortunately for me this year I just vested again, and now get 4 weeks a year instead of 3 :blink:

I know that with Gas prices soaring through the roof, it makes it harder and harder to justify.

Thoughts I found interesting, Clarksville TN is 500 miles or less from 75% of the US population. I do not have a place to point you to that statistic so I cannot back it up, but the man that told me pays attention to that sort of thing.

I think that is ONE of the reasons that LL is so popular.

I think Dan has hit the nail on the head though. If it had a different flavor or reason to go, it may be more likely to succede.

Dean and I are hoping to get out there this fall for a weekend or something, I would have tried to put it together for the left coast nationals, but it was prior to vesting my vacation.

I might just be full of gloom and doom today, but as I watch the gas prices continue to climb, my pay stay about the same, and hauling a load we get poor mileage, long distance events will get less and less for us.

When I drove two years ago with lower gas prices, it cost us $1200.00 for gasoline. Then we blew a tire that did another $2200.00 damage to the fiberglass wheelwell on our duelly rear tired truck.

If it was not for the enthusiasm of Mr. Bill to haul his trailer all the way out there, Team Califorina would be a very small team insted of the biggest in Tennesee.

Dan, the trals central staff has me locked up with an electronic leash on the middle of a moor in Scotland. But according to the Geneva convention they must let me out of Lane's world for one hour of exercise everyday. That allows me to post on my blackbury, then think I'm jogging! :blink:

cant think of a better place to have an event in the winter time than central arizona.tempetures in the mid 60s to low 70s, sunny and low humaditity make it prefect :blink: i know the club would never go for it though.