How Much Difference Between The 250 And 270 Beta

bigdamo

If your thinking of buying a 270 or 250 and doing this

you might aswell get a 200 if you are new to trials

then the 200 is probably your best bet anyway.

I come from a MX,enduro background (30 years)I rode my mates KTM 200exc while a very nice bike it was lacking on big hills i had a KTM 300 at the time.One place i will be riding has big hills with no run up.I would only tame a 250/270 down till i got used to it if at all.From what i understand Betas are pretty user friendly compared to Sherco's and GasGas?I rode a GasGas 280 while it had plenty of power it didn't compare to my KTM 300.Thanks anyway.

In trials, at least at clubman level, explosive power is frequently your worst enemy. The perceived difference between your KTM and a GasGas 280 (or Beta 270) is largely irrelevant because they're designed to do completely different jobs. I absolutely guarantee you that with an experienced rider on board, a 200cc trials bike will go up hills and other places that would tear any enduro bike to pieces. Even if your name is David Knight.

I'm not having a pop at you at all, it's just that many people coming from MX or enduro into trials (myself included, 5 years ago) frequently go out and buy the largest capacity bike they can find, simply because they're used to a 300cc stroker or 450cc thumper and a little 280cc trials bike will be no problem, right? Wrong. In a trial with tight turns between trees, hops over logs with zero run-up and perhaps wet, slippery ground the last thing you want is a big hit of power when what you really need is smooth and predictable power delivery. Which is what you'll get from a 200 or a 250.

The 280 GasGas and 270 Beta are really "pro" models which DO provide much more "snap" for really big splats and jumps and require expert levels of control and rider ability to get the most out of them. That's not to say you shouldn't buy one - they're great fun for play riding and make awesome "extreme" trail bikes but unless you have lots of previous trials experience or have no interest in competition I'd steer clear, at least for now.

In trials, at least at clubman level, explosive power is frequently your worst enemy. The perceived difference between your KTM and a GasGas 280 (or Beta 270) is largely irrelevant because they're designed to do completely different jobs. I absolutely guarantee you that with an experienced rider on board, a 200cc trials bike will go up hills and other places that would tear any enduro bike to pieces. Even if your name is David Knight.

I'm not having a pop at you at all, it's just that many people coming from MX or enduro into trials (myself included, 5 years ago) frequently go out and buy the largest capacity bike they can find, simply because they're used to a 300cc stroker or 450cc thumper and a little 280cc trials bike will be no problem, right? Wrong. In a trial with tight turns between trees, hops over logs with zero run-up and perhaps wet, slippery ground the last thing you want is a big hit of power when what you really need is smooth and predictable power delivery. Which is what you'll get from a 200 or a 250.

The 280 GasGas and 270 Beta are really "pro" models which DO provide much more "snap" for really big splats and jumps and require expert levels of control and rider ability to get the most out of them. That's not to say you shouldn't buy one - they're great fun for play riding and make awesome "extreme" trail bikes but unless you have lots of previous trials experience or have no interest in competition I'd steer clear, at least for now.

No pop taken.thanks for the info.I'm leaning towards the 250.

neonsurge is bang on with his comments. i also switched back to trials from enduros and i also had a ktm300. i bought a 270 beta and tested it before i parted with the money, but i rode it like i would an enduro bike, it felt great. but half a dozen trials later i realised i had made a mistake, i bought a 250, slow throttle, left the flywheel weight on and hey presto, my riding and results were instantly better. i then had the chance to spend some time on a 200 sherco, easier again. i will say that i am over 40 and slightly larger than your average trials pilot and found the 200 capable of doing all the things i could ask of it. the trick is to find the balance of power to ability. then just put fuel in whatever and ride the thing ! :D

I had this same concern back in 04 when I had a 250 and was considering a 270. I was concerned about the extra power, my ability to control it, increasing fatigue, etc.. None of these concerns materialized, and I enjoy the 270 MUCH better to the 250, and have been riding 270's since. Ours in the USA come with NO flywheel weight, and I have mine decked out with v-force reeds and an aluminum fast throttle tube, and I can handle it just fine. I'm probably low-to mid pack advanced now, but when I first did this I was intermediate.

The primary difference in power is mostly at the low end, which can be very helpful to the clubman for plonking along and climbing hills because they don't tend to rev the bike wide open. A 250 wide open can get you in just as much trouble as a 270! So really it all comes down to how well you control your right hand, and the 270 isn't any harder to control than a 250. If anything it becomes easier because if you think about it, most of the bigger bore bikes (300cc) are created specifically for the clubman, because they want 'softer' power, which is what the bigger pistons tend to deliver due to the increased mass.

Hope that helps with your decision making, if you haven't already decided.