First Beta - Maintenance

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Hi, coming back to bikes/ trials after a long long break, I've bought an 08 Beta 250. Would any of you be able to lend me first hand experience or tips for the sucessfull cleaning/ maintenance - all the common sense stuff that's never in the manuals. For the first few months I'll be in thick clay/ mud stuff on the Chilterns. Shouldn't see too much sand unless I go down Hants way, and I'm staying well clear of rock for a while!

Also any mods/ add ons recommended.

Cheers

Welcome back

I would re loctite the bolts at the top of the front frame stays near the top of the rad,the rear bashplate bolts and disc bolts as on some bikes these are prone to coming loose.

Also if you plan to do alot of riding in the wet I would strip the electrics off the bike an replace with a yam style kill button and if you ride alot in clayey mud space the front mudguardup by 10mm.

Apart from checking allthe bolts for tightness I dont think there is much else out of the ordinary that you need to worry about as long as the Keihin carb behaves better than the Mikuni fitted in the past

have fun

Every Outing

First, give the bu&&er a good clean, don't blast bearing sites with the power hose, dry it off.

Check all bolts for tightness or take em all out and loctite the bu&&ers in.

Take off timing side cover dry it out give it a blast with WD40

Take bolt off bottom of float chamber on Carb empty it out and make sure there are no deposits in the bottom, if so clean em out

Clean Air Filter

Give chain a good soak in deisel, wire brush the worst of the cr@p off, wash it to get the rest off it put it back on the bike and give it a blast with chain lube (the better ones disperse any water left between plates rollers etc.

Check all breathers/fuel hoses for cracks, blockages, splits etc replace as necessary

Every 12 - 15 hours use

All of the above PLUS

Change Gearbox oil (use 500cc Dextron ATF)

Check for play in bearings (Wheels, suspension mounts etc etc) replace as necessary

Check for play at head stock, re-adjust if necessary

Check brake calipers, clean them make sure pads aren't lipped or overly worn replace as necessary

Strip Carb blow through jets etc with an airline or compressed air canister

Check play in Chain adjust as necessary, check wear on sprockets replace as necessary

That's the routine stuff I do plus dealing with any other issues as they happen, hope this helps

Edited by Slapshot 3