How Do I Get The Flywheel Weight Off My Techno?

lucky7s

As per thread title really. I want to remove the flywheel weight on my 97 Beta. Bike seems really lazy compared to other trials machines i've tried. Changed the exhaust middle and end cans as my old ones were full of oil. It has a slow action throttle fitted and i've ordered a fast action one to see if that makes it any more responsive, but it feels like theres more to it than that. The bike is quite slow to 'pick up' on the revs, and evn slower to settle back to idle speed, and i've seen it mentioned in numerous posts here that removing the flywheel weight makes the engine more free revving and responsive. Problem is, although its mentioned frequently, no-one (that i can find at least) has covered removing it. I could give it a trial and error bash, but i dont want to end up with a bike that wont run so soon after getting it going again, so if anyone can give me a blow by blow walk through of how to do it it'd give me a lot more confidence to try it. Thanks in advance :thumbup:

I dont think the problem lies with your flywheel weight. I love the power range of the old techno's compared with my rev 3. If it is taking a while to come back down off the revs, it could be air leaking, check inlet rubber, reed gasket, if ok, then its crank seals/centre csket im afraid matey, this would also cause a lazy response as you will have set your carburetion for an overly lean condition, obviously you have cleaned the carb out right?

The carby's brand new,only fitted it a couple of weeks ago and stripped it again yesterday - its as clean as a whistle. I've checked the mounting rubbers for splits, the airbox pipe is starting to perish but its airtight, and the inlet rubber is pretty new by the looks of things and leak free. Not checked the reed block if i'm honest but i will next time the carbs off for a clean out. The bike hadn't been particularly well cared for by its previous owner but thats sure changed since i got hold of it :thumbup: I'd be interested in trying it without the flywheel weight all the same, if only to see if it makes a difference or not/rule one more thing out, so if you could give me a clue on getting it off it'd be much appreciated :o I really hope its not casing seals.....i'm guessing that means a complete strip down which is probably beyond my limited mechanical ability to be honest.

I'm guessing that the flywheel is on the sprocket side of the engine, beneath the plastic cover right? I had the cover off the other day and there was a flat disc with ducati stamped on it.....am i in the right area?

yes, use impact driver, but find airleak first lol

Soaked the engine casings, carb rubbers etc in leak detector. Cant find anything leaking so hopefully tha rules out one potential cause. Changed the exhaust packing this morning and sealed the joins between downpipe, centre and slip-on with exhaust paste, which has quietened things down considerably and seems to have cured the rough idle and smoky exhaust. Feels a little more responsive too, although that may be my imagination (wishful thinking) but it definitely pulls a lot harder than it did once you get up to 4th and above. Gonna tackle the flywheel weight tomorrow and see if that makes any difference to the low speed responsiveness. My quick action throttle should be here tomorrow too so i'm hoping one or other or both may do the trick :thumbup: