Weird Gearbox Problem?

neonsurge

Took the bike out for the first time in 3 months last week and noticed a weird noise when riding between sections: Approximately once per full rotation of the chain there was an audible "chunk" noise and a momentary vibration that could also be felt through the bars (like when a small stone gets stuck in the rear sprocket). It's not noticeable when riding in sections. I didn't think much of it because the chain and sprockets were both on their last legs (beyond in fact) and I assumed that it was a kink in the chain or something.

I've just put on a new C&S and when I spin the rear wheel the problem is still there - it's as though the rear brake is getting stuck on momentarily although it feels like it's something at the engine end - gearbox? It's difficult to describe so I'm hoping someone knows what I'm blathering about!

Any ideas?

You say you just fitted a new C&S, did you replace BOTH sprockets? If not the new chain is probably tightening up on the worn front sprocket which will stop the rotation when you spin the wheel..... just a thought

See my blog on "how to chains and sprockets"

Tony

Edited by tony283

Yep, replaced both sprockets. It *IS* very much like what a completely knackered chain feels like (which is what I had and why I didn't worry too much about it at the time). Due to being a tad short in the wallet department right now, I bought an el-cheapo Iris chain instead of my usual Renthal and knowing how quickly Iris chains stretch, I deliberately adjusted it very tight with the intention of adjusting it properly before tomorrow's trial (hey, every little helps, right?). I guess it might be this tightness that I'm feeling... see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Could it be the split link catching the rear brake pedal or even snagging on the rubber slipper pad? A twisted chain tensioner will also snag the split link on it's way through...

If not, slacken the chain and see if that makes any difference, also whip the brake pads out to eliminate that end of the bike.

Edited by Kinell

From what you say the "overtightened chain" sounds like the problem right there. Even a "new" chain will have a couple of tight spots which you will be able to see, and feel as you rotate the wheel. Also check the alignment of the tensioner and look at the pad which may have been cut offset by the old chain. I would always change the pad when you change the sprockets and chain.

Tony