Ajs Stormer Advice

andy.t

Got myself an AJS 250 Stormer and going to do some classic scrambles, anyone an expert on tips for reducing the clutch drag, my gearbox tends to crunch and the bike lurches forward when put into gear, not to bad when its warm it just annoys me. (have cleaned out inside cases and changed the oil) Also does anyone know the best way to check if the gear oil in my gearbox is R40, I think its R40 just not sure and would like to change it to an EP mineral, if it is R40 anyone got any tips to flush it out.

Regards Andy

No advice I'm afraid but I have just sold my 1983 twinshock Husky and would like to go older.

I'm thinking of a Stormer also.Let me know how you get on with it.

I will be riding the bike this weekend for the first time,in fact first ever Scramble. I think the clutch is a bit better now as I pulled the clutch apart and cleaned up the steel plates. Still not sure about the oil in the gearbox as it smells like Castrol R40 so for now thats what is going back in. Hope I survive on Sunday must refrain from seeing the red mist.

I will be riding the bike this weekend for the first time,in fact first ever Scramble. I think the clutch is a bit better now as I pulled the clutch apart and cleaned up the steel plates. Still not sure about the oil in the gearbox as it smells like Castrol R40 so for now thats what is going back in. Hope I survive on Sunday must refrain from seeing the red mist.

My advice would be try not to go faster than you are comfortable with.Try to keep the bike upright.

You lose a lot of time and get very frustrated when you fall off and have to re-start the bike.

I fell off a lot my first season.

Don't get too down if everyone clears off ,just finish and enjoy.

davieboy, completed the Scramble on Sunday, the old AJS was brilliant it really did fly and handled like a dream, must give credit to the previous owner as he had all the work done on it like the Fluff Brown rebuild and all the Fluff extras. The only criticism with these bikes is the clutch as they do tend to drag. I took your advice and just stuck to a speed that I was comfortable with but still managed to get my foot stuck in someones front wheel at one of the jumps when a few riders collided, thank God I purchased descent boots. There is a Stormer on Ebay dont know if you have noticed it, starting bids at

davieboy, I do know the owner of one of the bikes he is the bloke that got me interested in doing the PRE65 Scrambles (its not the one with the Fluff extras) yes the other one does look a bit like mine however I have a Greeves aluminum tank on mine it looks good but not 100% sure If I would rather have the original.

Bought the 410 Stormer at the weekend.

Needs a few small jobs before it is race ready.

I will report as I go.

Haven't had a bigger engined,long stroke 2-stroke for a few years and forgot how much they kick back.

Almost broke my ankle last night starting it with trainers on,big mistake.Boots only from now on.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode the Stormer for the first time on sunday.

Bike seemed to be runing roughly and would not rev too cleanly,thought I would give it a go anyway.

Completed about 6 laps of practice,pulling strongly,pretty torquey,no need to rev it too hard.

Then it just spluttered and stopped,at the furthest away corner fron the car,as always.

Pushed it back to the car,put a new plug in and away it went.

Started my first race,running fine,quite enjoyed it though the suspension needs work.

Only a 4 lap race so finished no problem.Wouldn't start again all day so day over but quite enjoyed my few laps.

Vibration is quite bad,maybe because it is a 410.

Have since learned it is the carb that is the starting and running problem.The old Amal mk 1 is worn out.

Saving up for a new mk2.

Glad you like the AJS, sorry to hear your ride was cut short, most people do say that the Mk 2 Amal is the best way to go. I have still only done the one scramble on mine but am looking forward to doing as many as I can next year, still need to try and improve my clutch though and a modified clutch pressure plate that fluff sells is on my Christmas list...thats the only thing I like about Christmas is the presents... and booze.

I have been looking at Mikuni VM carbs,I know a few of the guys who ride pre-75 use them,work well on CZ's.

They are supposedly better than Amals,I'm not too sure about eligibility,will need to inquire.

I'm not too bothered about originality if the bike runs cleanly.Like most of these things questions are only asked if you start winning and there is not much chance of that.

• 3 weeks later...