Just Comfirming The Steps Here...

djbordie

2000 txt 280

(clutch is sticky, isnt disengaging very well when in gear via the clutch lever)

(assuming some fresh oil will help alot, as the previous owner hasnt changed in 5 hrs + storage)

From what ive read (please correct if wrong)

750ml of Automotive Transmission fluid, or? (everything i see is Dexron-III, good enough?)

drain from bolt under skid plate (do i remove the skid plate or what?)

Fill 750 mls on the brake lever side, allen bolt thing.

Can someone suggest a fluid that is known to work well with the 2000 txt 280?

or just use some canadian tire ATF or similar.

THANK YOU!

(as you can tell ive never worked on 2 strokes {only 4st ss}...really dont want to mangle anything...)

Edited by djbordie

"2000 txt 280

(clutch is sticky, isnt disengaging very well when in gear via the clutch lever)

(assuming some fresh oil will help alot, as the previous owner hasnt changed in 5 hrs + storage)"

Some drag will be normal. Be sure the adjustment screw on the clutch lever is backed out enough to have a little clearance where it meets the plunger at the master cylinder.

"From what ive read (please correct if wrong)

750ml of Automotive Transmission fluid, or? (everything i see is Dexron-III, good enough?)"

Dexron III works well in this trans and 650cc's, rather than 750cc's, seems to make the clutch a little smoother.

"drain from bolt under skid plate (do i remove the skid plate or what?)

Fill 750 mls on the brake lever side, allen bolt thing."

No need to remove the skidplate. Use a new Allen wrench (or cut about 5-8mm off the end of an old one) so the aluminum plug ("allen bolt thing") is not stripped out.

Can someone suggest a fluid that is known to work well with the 2000 txt 280?

or just use some canadian tire ATF or similar.

Not sure what "canadian tire ATF " is, but Dexron III ATF is what most riders use.

Jon

thank you sir, appreciate the snappy and full response.

found dexron 3 at my gas station...should be fine and its cheap.

650ml check...

what p****d me off was when i pull the lever (up on a stand), the rear wheel still moves...pretty hard, i cant stop it with my hand...

so i hope its just some fluid and adjustment..

i just dont see how this bike will stop on an obstacle while holding in the clutch if the rear wheel is still spinning.

thanks again! will try all this in 2 hrs. yeee for short fridays @ work!

No matter how well set-up a clutch is, the rear wheel will turn if the bike is in gear and the wheel is off the ground. Your not being able to stop the wheel with your hand is not unusual at all as far as clutch drag goes.

You will find that the rear brake is very effective at stopping the wheel turning while you are stationary balancing.