Sacu Vs Acu

g4321

I can't say I agree Boofont. I know how much it costs to get things like training notes put in to print. The more you make, the less it costs per copy.

It makes it so much simpler to have one book that all the disciplines use.

I'd prefer to see a professionally produced booklet like we've got now, rather than an amateur looking paper pamphlet.

When you compare the cost even to mass produced books it doesn't seem too over the top.

For the same price you could probably get half a T-shirt printed, or 40 photocopy A4 pages from your local newsagent.

I don't think it will be long before the paper copy could be almost entirely replaced by other media (CD/Web download) which should be cheaper, and at that point a damned site easier to just provide you with the bits that are relevant to your license. But there are still an unbelievable amount of people without regular web access.

Half of my family is from Scotland, so I understand where your pain is coming from :wall:

P.S. I know you're not from Scotland, but you're learning their ways :o

"straight to the SACU" that is not quite correct, the insurance premiums are then paid across to the insurers, the SACU are acting as collecting agents, it's not all "profit".

I appreciate you are corrrect here John - I used to know how much went towards insurance (and it has probably gone up!) but to the average rider who has had little to do with running the sport it is seen as 'going straight to the SACU (or ACU). Most peope make little or no differentiation between 'insurance costs' and SACU levy.

Would the event levy need to be as high as

Edited by g4321

There is one very valid point that has not been mentioned in this thread - that is WHY do we need two organisations doing the same thing?

would it not make sense to make scotland a centre of the ACU (in legal terms it is anyway) - do away with the SACU (ok i know its 92 years old but sentiment can't take over common sense) let scotland run centre events (the current "national" status of scottish trials is a joke compared to England)

as i am on a roll :o the subject of the handbook (note its the ACU handbook not the SACU handbook- ha ;) ) I have a licence to ride my road bike on the public highway - but i am not forced into purchasing a copy of the Road Traffic Act or the highway code every year - it is up to me to know the legal rules required to drive safely.

and another thing - the need to have two licences to ride two disciplines is a nonsense - what is wrong with one licence with the relevant categories marked on it - again i do not need two driving licences to drive a bike and a car? - its just a way of getting another