txt 200 wont idle

nath15804

Hi,

im trying to set up a txt 200 gasgas (2000) the bike will not idle, i have had the carb to pieces and cleaned it all, cleaned all jets ect ect. put it back together but still wont idle. The weird thing is that with the choke on it ticks over fine and revs out fine. any ideas what could be the problem? doing my head in!

Are you saying that you've screwed the tickover screw in to lift the slide enough to make the bike idle, but it won't run slowly?

no, i have got the bike ticking over with choke on, as soon as i knock it off it simply doesnt want to tick over, i tried turning the idle screw in but still no joy, what should the air screw be set at for a txt200?

Never had a 200 but for Dellorto carbs 3 to 3.5 turns out seems to the starting point for the mixture screw and fine tune from there. Have you taken the jets out and blown them and the carb body through with an air line? A good squirt of carb cleaner followed by an air line is a good idea. From what you describe it sounds like the pilot (fuel) circuit has some muck in it making it too lean to run.

Never had a 200 but for Dellorto carbs 3 to 3.5 turns out seems to the starting point for the mixture screw and fine tune from there. Have you taken the jets out and blown them and the carb body through with an air line? A good squirt of carb cleaner followed by an air line is a good idea. From what you describe it sounds like the pilot (fuel) circuit has some muck in it making it too lean to run.

hi, i have done that twice over, still no good.

When you have the choke on all it is doing is richening the mixture at idle because when you open the throttle the choke ceases to work. The choke sucks fuel from the bottom of the float bowl. Are your floats adjusted correctly? I'm wondering if the float level is way too low.

Something you should also check is for air leaks between the carb and the motor. There are several joints; between the reed block and crankcase; the reed block and inlet manifold, and the rubber inlet manifold itself can split (usually round the back where you can't see!). If its not the float level I'd be inclined to take the reed block out, check everything and reassemble with new gaskets and a smear of sillicone jointing compound.

Edited by Lowbrow