AJS / Matchless fork dismantling

woody

We're trying to strip a pair of Matchless forks, similar to those in the picture.

Top nuts are off, springs and spring covers are off. The bolt at the bottom of the slider is out.

How does the stanchion come out of the slider? It won't just slide out, it is as though something is still holding it. There is a damper rod (or whatever) only a few millimetres in diameter, sticking out of the top of the stanchion, this also seems held in by something. It will turn but doesn't unscrew.

I've tried sharply pulling the stanchion out of the leg but it hits what feels like a rebound cushioning spring and won't come out. I'm now stumped.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the stanchion from the leg please? Any assistance appreciated.

post-71-0-41199900-1296586452.jpg

We're trying to strip a pair of Matchless forks, similar to those in the picture.

Top nuts are off, springs and spring covers are off. The bolt at the bottom of the slider is out.

How does the stanchion come out of the slider? It won't just slide out, it is as though something is still holding it. There is a damper rod (or whatever) only a few millimetres in diameter, sticking out of the top of the stanchion, this also seems held in by something. It will turn but doesn't unscrew.

I've tried sharply pulling the stanchion out of the leg but it hits what feels like a rebound cushioning spring and won't come out. I'm now stumped.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the stanchion from the leg please? Any assistance appreciated.

post-71-0-41199900-1296586452.jpg

I think I recognise the front wheel in the photo, that is one of mine!

Yes heat up the top of the slider with a hot air gun, especially the slightly wider part all the way round, not too hot but just so that you touch it without burning yourself. Clamp slider in a vice with thick rags to protect the alloy and pull the stantion up hard, quite a few times, there is a bakelite or possibly nylon bush in the wide part of the slider and there is a steel bush circlipped on the bottom of the stantion, you effectively tap out the nylon top bush with the upward movement of the stantion. Watch out they usually break free in an instant - showering you with oil and gunge, so wear protective clothing and eye goggles!

Big John

Yes it is your bike John, a picture from the Pre65 Scottish a few years ago.

post-71-0-22815100-1296605937.jpg

Thanks for the info chaps, I thought it was probably a shock it free method, but not having done any before I wasn't sure. Had a few goes but it just aggravated my tendonitis.... I ended up sprawled across the floor last time I split some Fantic 303 forks using this method.

I'll have another go tomorrow, after I've cleared a landing patch...

Having worked on AJS Matchless forks since the early seventies I have come across this problem a few times. From the experience you have to be careful when heating up the slider as these forks have plastic top bearings. The modern ones are made of nylon and seem to swell with moisture and become very tight in the slider. The best way to get the fork apart is to use a puller. If I new how to do it I would put a picture of the one I use on the thread. If you heat the older bearings that are made of bakelite they seem to swell. PS I use the same sliders on my cub (would have put a picture on the form if I new how and my identify would be revealed .

Having worked on AJS Matchless forks since the early seventies I have come across this problem a few times. From the experience you have to be careful when heating up the slider as these forks have plastic top bearings. The modern ones are made of nylon and seem to swell with moisture and become very tight in the slider. The best way to get the fork apart is to use a puller. If I new how to do it I would put a picture of the one I use on the thread. If you heat the older bearings that are made of bakelite they seem to swell. PS I use the same sliders on my cub (would have put a picture on the form if I new how and my identify would be revealed .

OK, thanks for the info. It doesn't matter if bushes and whatever get damaged as I only want the bottoms. I'm going to have to ruin a pair of AJS forks and a pair of Marzocchi forks to become Pre65 eligible. I hate doing that but that's why I'm trying to get the sliders off, so the bushes don't matter.

Easiest way to post pictures is become a TC Supporter, then you can upload pictures direct from your PC. Otherwise you have to load pictures from your PC onto another website or blog and then upload onto the forum from there.

How do you become a TC supporter have had a look at how to upload a photo and had brain fade

On the home page there is a menu option for Site Information and under that is an option for TC Supporter.

It seems to be geared for a new user registering for the site and becoming a TC supporter right away. When you enter your user name it will say it already exists but give you a link to a 'your membership' page. Select this link which opens a new window and from there you should be able to submit a Supporter subscription.

That's how I managed to blunder through it in the end but you may have to contact the site administrators for more specific instructions if you get stuck.

Managed to get one of the legs apart this morning. The other one seems siezed though, so fun and games will ensue...

I've developed an easy way to strip ajs forks. Fasten the stanchion to something firm. You can use a vice, but I find the bottom yoke is pretty good (support bike so it doesn't fall over). Get a spindle / bar about 12" long that is a good fit in the wheel clamp (about 1/2"). Put the bar in the clamp then foot on one end and push down which compresss the rebound spring, then smack the other end with a hammer. Good to put something soft on the floor to catch the slider as it shoots off. Also make sure the top nut is removed or at least has the damper rod disconnected. Warming up the slider does help