How Tight Do You Pack The Rear Silencer?

rhennem

Hi

I've been advised to repack the silencer of my Techno, as it is a bit smokey. I got the end off easily, and started taking the old wadding out. It's got some oil in it, but far from saturated. The previous owner was a good mechanic, and everything I've found so far is in good order.

So, given that it's pretty clean so far, does it even need repacking? If it does, how hard do I cram it in? Hard as possible, or looser? How loose?

Thanks, and sorry if everyone knows this, I couldn't find an answer.

Robin

I use the sheet type packing and roll the inner tube very tighly until it only just fits in the outer case on my Rev 3. The more you can get in there the better I was told.

Some say change every year. It only cost pennies.

Depends on the shape of the can but I generally do the same a pindie said. If you have a uniform inside shape you can role it slightly bigger and carefully twist it as you go to get it all in.

In theory it is possible to over pack the lose type of packing but that does require a fair amount of OCD!

It costs about £5 for a pack of the sheet material so why not change it fairly regularly? It’s not as critical on a trials bike but generally they blow more oil into the packing than a road racer. Reason for the reference I repack the end can on my 125 GP race bike every 2-3 meetings to really keep it performing at its best.