Ideal Distance For A Sammy Miller Championship Event?

pete_scorpa3

Yes I remember riding sections in the old Chips Quarry at Fish Hill. Sadly for us, that quarry has been back in full use over the past 15 years or so and is now nothing more than a giant hole inthe gournd with verticle sides to the edge.

Next time you are in Hancocks Wood, take a look over the edge into Chips Quarry, you will see what I mean, but don't get too close!

Chips Quarry - great place, great venue. Some horrible sections in there, especially in he Colmore, and especially when covered in ice or snow.

Picture below of a young Woody, majestically floating though a Chips section on OWP 4P, my 325 Sherpa M159. Taken at a Stratford club trial in '76 or '77. Had to sell it to buy a car not long after this was taken.

About 10 years or so ago, I was selling some parts and a bloke arranged to stop by on his way home to buy something. He said he had just bought a Bultaco in pieces which was in the back of his tipper truck and could I tell him what it was. Easy enough to tell him it was an M159 model but then I saw the number plate - OWP 4P... My old bike. Couldn't believe it. I showed him the picture below and another few of the bike when it was nearly new. It inspired him to restore it.

Unfortunately in the trial at Chips it broke and I had to relieve my brother of his Ossa (his first trial) and finish on that...

post-71-0-04194900-1395168819_thumb.jpg

One of the Ossa ripping it up the big hill climb in Chips

post-71-0-95535100-1395168860_thumb.jpg

Happy days, shame it's gone as a venue.

• Like 2

Hi Guy's,

Yea that's the sort of section we want, shame it has gone.

My eldest sons best mates father used to own that quarry, both him and his sister were top class BMX riders.

And I am trying to persuade Scott to ride one of my Otters, I am sure he would do it justice if he had a go.

Just like a chip of the old block so to speak!!!

Regards Charlie ...www.bsaotter.com.

Chips Quarry - great place, great venue. Some horrible sections in there, especially in he Colmore, and especially when covered in ice or snow.

Picture below of a young Woody, majestically floating though a Chips section on OWP 4P, my 325 Sherpa M159. Taken at a Stratford club trial in '76 or '77. Had to sell it to buy a car not long after this was taken.

About 10 years or so ago, I was selling some parts and a bloke arranged to stop by on his way home to buy something. He said he had just bought a Bultaco in pieces which was in the back of his tipper truck and could I tell him what it was. Easy enough to tell him it was an M159 model but then I saw the number plate - OWP 4P... My old bike. Couldn't believe it. I showed him the picture below and another few of the bike when it was nearly new. It inspired him to restore it.

Unfortunately in the trial at Chips it broke and I had to relieve my brother of his Ossa (his first trial) and finish on that...

attachicon.gif325 Bult.jpg

One of the Ossa ripping it up the big hill climb in Chips

attachicon.gifOssa.jpg

Happy days, shame it's gone as a venue.

Fantastic. Yes that's the climb we all called the sandbank. Remember that very well indeed, went up there dozens of times back in the early 80's.

I was in Hancocks Wood last weekend overlooking that very spot. Sadly just where this picture was taken is now a verticle rock face.