Tlr200 - Difficult Finding Neutral

mcman56

Over time, finding neutral when stopped on my TLR has become very very difficult. Is this likely a clutch issue? If it needs replacement are there any options to OEM Honda?

On the flip side, it is easy to get hung up in neutral when shifting from 2nd to 1st while moving. Is this normal? It may be getting worse over time also.

The starwheel on the end of the shift drum can wear (not visible to the eye) and cause less precise shifting as time goes by. Part # 24411-446-650 called gearshift cam by Honda, also the gearshift plate 24621-446-650 which fits over and contacts with the starwheel is commonly replaced at the same time. These parts are under the clutch and not hard to replace (no splitting cases). There will be no discernible wear on the old parts but often replacement can make a huge difference. A lot of information on this on some enduro sites, same parts on XR200R.

• 4 weeks later...

probably a few weeks late but with the tlr200 if the bike has fallen on the left side the shift linkage mount on the frame can be bent slightly causing the linkage to bind. It's hard to see but the shift shaft going intothe trans and the linkage shaft on the frame mount point should be parallel. if not this can cause the linkage to jam between 1st and 2nd because of the longer throw between the gears. if the mount point is bent pull the linkage off find a long bolt or rod of appropriate diameter put it in the mount point and gently tap it from the bottom until it becomes parallel with the shift shaft. I was having the same issue and this solved the problem.

I'm not running the linkage but did replace the two pieces recommended by tlmark. Shifting does feel more secure but now I have a bit of clutch drag so it is hard to tell. The clutch components looked like new and I reassembled with correct placing of steel and fiber plates. However, I did not ensure that the plates were in the exact same place as in fiber plate #1 may now be fiber plate #3 etc. Could this need a little run in to loosen up?

Edited by mcman56