New Wire

toetoe

my 1999 sherco does not want to start, their is a spark but it doesn't look very strong, i have looked at the wiring and it is very shoddy to say the least, their is little breaks in most of the wires and the earth is not so good, it doesn't look to hard to replace but where can i buy the right colour wire in 1meter lengths and the connectors i need, i have managed to get one of the harnesses i need from ebay and i can get a cdi for £26 and coil for £20 if the rewire doesn't work but with it being 14 years old it is hard to get the harnesses i need already made up, at least time is on my side as this is my spare bike now but it's nice to have ready to go for others who want to have a go at trials.

Do you have a knowledgeable local dealer? The fact you have spark, is good! None of them are very strong to begin with, which actually leads me believe you have some other problem. Tatty wires are still wires, and they either connect or they do not!

Some require special termination and tools to do so, thus I fear you well may turn the thing into a rats nest!

Just saying!

Edited by copemech

if this had append to my new gas gas then i wouldn't hesitate in taking it to a shop or someone in the know but it's actually quite interesting to me, my knowledge is limited but i have looked at the wiring and it is pretty basic also i have managed to source one of the harnesses i need from ebay and that is basically just unplug the old one and plug the new one in, for the rest of the wires that need changing they are just single wires taped together, nothing hard and fast, it's more about learning more than anything else, i have always had a kind of fear when it comes to electrics on a bike but with it being an old bike and my spare i feel more confident in trying things out, if nothing i do works then off to the shop it goes.

A number of problems arise as wiring looms on any vehicle age. These result in loss of power in electrical components and systems including ignition circuits. These defects often do not show up with simple resistance testing but they do significantly reduce current flow.

Age defects include:

Wires reduced in cross sectional area due to corrosion or fatigue cracking.

Resistance to current flow due to corrosion on connectors, corrosion on wire where it is crimped into connectors or loosening of connectors

Leakage of electricity due to failing insulation.

Vehicle manufacturers minimise wire sizes to save money, most wiring looms would benefit from larger wires.

almost all of the wires have got a break in them and the connections are not the best, when i said some of the wires are wrapped in tape, that is what it is like now which was done by a previous owner, as one of the other members said, a rats nest, so i have already got some shrink wrap and not only do i want to change the wires but i want to smarten it up as best as i can, it should make fault finding much easier in the future, thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

i have now got it running and it's sounding good, i haven't rewired it yet but what i did do was cut 20mm off the end of the ht lead, the earth wire was not even connected but that could of happened when i pulled everything out to have a look, the screw that fixes the earth to the frame will not budge so i have rerouted the earth and the other thing i have done is, i asked my friend to ride the bike through the stream to clean the wheels, the last time the bike was out, this is something i have always done, just before i go home, i took the stater cover off and it was wet so i left it to dry naturally for a few days then kicked the bike over and it started but it was very sluggish but after a minuet or so the revs built up and it has kicked up first time ever since, with it being my spare bike, time is on my side so after my holiday i'm going spend some time and money on it, i am really pleased that i have been able to sort it out my self and for very little money, thanks for the advice.