280 Txt Problem

dusty23

Evening all , right , I will come clean in that I am by no means a mechanic but will have a go .

I am now about to rename my 07 280 txt to Whitney as it seems to be addicted to choke !! It all starts fine runs nicely but recently in the last few rides , maybe 3 or 4 , nothing big , maybe an hour each time , I gove it ten to fifteen minutes before I flick the choke off . It is now dying or trying too unless I flick the accelerator quickly . I dont know if I have knocked something but I am now running it on choke constantly with in reason . I have noticed that also after the last couple rides I undo the oil filler nut and there have been a few filings on the magnet and am wandering if that is a sign of some thing bad ,

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to cause any damage or do anything untoward to by beutiful Whitney .

Cheers Dusty

Edited by dusty23

The best cheap advice is strip the carb first. Any water from washing or debris will affect the running massively.Blow out all carb air and fuel runs with compressed air. What type of carb is it? Do all that then come back to us. That's a cheap fix in a line of various options ending in buying a new bike !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my late reply Anotherfive , I have only just carried out the work . I completely stripped the carb down and cleared through every port or hole and rebuilt it , only I forgot what my air and fuel screw settings were . I then played around and to get it running correctly the air screw was about 3 turns out and the fuel the same -ish . Ticks over nicely with little if any puffs of smoke and is no longer addicted to choke . My only comment would be that you have to remove the rear body plastics to get the carb back in as it was a fag squeezng it out ., Could of been desgined a little more service friendly . ............

Thanks for the help with that Anotherfive .

cheers Dusty