Tiger Cub - Problem!

maggar

Hi Guy's.

M,

You have checked to see if there is the right air gap on the PVL rotor- stator have you not?

If the rotor is hard up against the stator at some point in its travel this, could feel like the engine getting tight, and for it running out of spark.

Worth a look, the lot may have come loose or a post snapped??

Regards Charlie.

I wonder if the rotor on the end of the crank has slipped?

They would account for the misfire.

PVL rotors aren't as a rule keyed with a woodruff to the crank (unless someone has modded it)

They are just pushed on the crank, aligned and the end nut (should) hold it in place.

If I remember correctly, the nut can sometimes not grip the rotor enough to stop it slipping.

(something in the back of my mind recalls a different nut, perhaps modified or a washer/spacer fitted under the nut to grip the rotor??)

As for the stiff kickstart, check for "wobble" in the clutch basket and primary chain for slack.

Due to gearing the primary down for trial use (smaller crank sprocket) the kick start mech primary gears and clutch can suffer "foot abuse".

Edited by goudrons

Well it's sort of fixed.....

Having restarted it about 20 times only to have it stall and then have the kick start go rigid after the next kick she finally ran out of fuel altogether. Put some fuel in, choke and a few twists of the throttle and she fired up again but this time without stalling. She runs as sweets as a nut.

The strange thing is that if I turn off the fuel and allow it to run out and stall the kick start will again go rigid! Removing the spark plug will still free the kick start and the engine will turnover, pulling in the clutch will also free up the kick start but obviously the engine doesn't turn over, just as before.

It's odd but at least I now have a Cub that works again, I'll keep an eye on her for any more mysterious "glitches" and make sure she always has plenty of fuel. Perhaps this is an elaborate early warning system for low fuel!!

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Edited by maggar