Maritime Trials Riders Year In Review 2015

Well another great year in the Maritimes :D

After 3 years of putting on 3 day indoor shows in March we decided to give it a rest this year. It was kind of nice not having to worry about it and I had a great trip to BC to do a bit of skiing and see some of the West coast (I even had a chance to see some Trials riding on Vancouver Island.

We typically have our big training weekend with Jonathan in the spring but the spring didn't work out this year for Jonathan (but he was able to get over to the SSDT for another top Canadian finish). We decided to move the training weekend to September.

Our 5 events were well spread out with 3 in the valley one by the Halifax airport and one outside of Moncton.

post-16313-0-21764100-1445471837_thumb.png

we had a really bad year for snow and Eric actually had to shovel snow on some of the sections he had laid out for our first event just outside of Berwick. We had a good turnout and a nice variety of sections the ice just below the top layer of soil in some places made for some interesting grip challenges.

It soon warmed up though and since the training weekend was postponed I decided(on short notice)that I would put on an event at my parents place in a couple of weeks time (as my ST250 was scheduled to arrive). We shared in setting up the sections the day of the event and for a short notice event things worked out very well. Guy from New Brunswick joined in the fun and we gave him some pointers for putting on event #3 just outside Moncton.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make the third event but from the scores I can see we had some new riders join in the fun and I heard that the course involved a bit more riding between sections but was very scenic. I also heard that there wasn't really an 'easy" line but everyone enjoyed the challenge and had good fun... It is always great when another rider decides to start putting on events like this.

Next up was our training day with Jonathan on a Saturday in a shale pit followed by a Trials event on the Sunday by the Airport. It is always great when Jonathan can fly in from Ontario to give us some pointers. He rode my X-Ride during the training and the event and it was great to see how well it could handle sections in the right hands. He would also hop onto different peoples bikes to demonstrate how thing should be done. I think the highlight was doing some decent sized splatters that nobody had really mastered before. It is one thing to say you have to commit and give it more gas it is another thing to actually see it done on your own bike. Jonathan made a good point by walking up to somebody and saying "when you are giving it the gas you are turning the throttle this far" then turned the throttle as the rider had been doing (about a 1/4 throttle) he then said "the throttle can actually got this far" and opened it up the whole way, we all had a good chuckle - it was pretty clear there was lots of room for improvement and improve we did.

The next day was the NSORRA Drive to Ride which is the annual membership ride with close to 200 dirt bike riders showing up to ride Trails, Track, and Trials with local vendors showing their support and new bikes. Again we shared the course setting activities in the morning and rode in the afternoon. There isn't a lot of rock at the location but the terrain is tricky enough and with a few manmade sections out in plain view of the other dirt bikers we all had some fun showing off what our bikes could do.

The last event of the year was back at the shale pit where Kevin laid out 8 good sections for us. Once again it was a beautiful day and fun was had by all.

Over the season we had 18 riders in total and 4 different people taking responsibilities for setting up the different events. It is looking good for getting even more growth next year.

A huge thank you to all the landowners that allowed us to ride on their properties, Jonathan for sharing his expertise with us and the riders / organizers who make this all happen. I would also like to thank NSORRA, RPM Cycle, Sherco, BETA, NSDSC, and the WTC for their on-going support for the Maritime Trials Riders.

Here are the final scores for the year:2015 scores totals.pdf

Edited by michael_t