2016 Miller Series.

jon v8

Was talking trials to a mate today and got onto the subject of the Miller classes. he suggested I have a look at the "revised" rules for 2016. Is it me or has the point been completely missed ? There is STILL no difference in the classes to distinguish between a Pre unit big banger and a sub 190lb James/Bantam/Cub.

Or have I read last years regs or the wrong page completely ?  :(

I guess I did have the right specs on Richard... And Ken, it really doesn't encourage me to carry on and finish my HT5 replica. Clearly most others have given up on the idea of Pre Unit entries in the Miller series.Tis a shame,the bikes are still there - its difficult to wear them out,all it needs is classes that give riders a decent chance - and sections that reflect the bikes size/.weight. Looks like Sammy and the ACU have moved on. I have my own idea to get old bikes out of sheds,maybe next year I will put it into practice.Meanwhile I'll keep talking to local land owners and try to secure a couple more venues.

• Like 3

I wonder what would happen if someone were to offer two separate awards for the Best Overall Performances in the Sammy Miller series by a rigid Pre-unit and a springer Pre-unit?

It would need someone to maintain a log of the results........ 

Hi Guy's.

Dabster don't keep winding Deryk up and spelling his Name wrongly.

The awards would be know problem. Done that before.

But the Problem is the trust riders have in this series, If they turn up on a rigid or a Pre-unit.

And the first two or three sections tell the tale of the trial to come, despondency sets in, and the rider feels he has wasted his time and money turning up for a jolly day out.

I may be wrong ,but the wording in the regs only says some sections may be easier?

We will have to see, but I think the trust has now gone in the Sammy Series, just like Sam moved on from Ariel, once again Bultaco's and  Twinshocks seem the trials Norm.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1

Sadly I am now convinced that there will be a total demise of the pre-unit bikes from the 2016 Sammy Miller series - which is totally foreign to the concept of creating fair competition for riders on similar machines.  We created the series forty-four years ago and ran it very successfully for over twenty years, then it fell into A-CU hands...........

There is a potential solution.  Start again but keep the A-CU well clear of it.

Who has the energy to do that?

Hi nigel,

The first thing to really get your head round is that when one says 'A-CU' you are actually talking about a small headquarters office staff, who may or may not even know what a motorcycle is - it's not relevant to their office duties..........

In the various sporting activities there are 'elected' responsible bodies for the separate sporting disciplines, BUT those elected bodies are, in my direct and personal experience, Primarily comprised of people who are good at being elected, again not necessarily knowledgeable about motorcycles or motorcycling, I have known personally many A-CU central committee members in the various sports who have never sat on a motorcycle.

There are some who are thoroughly competent riders - but that almost inevitably puts them in a minority as far as voting is concerned because those who are only good at being elected are very well versed in understanding that change is dangerous to their electoral status.........

I, with the aid of fellow riders, created the 'new' sport of pre-65, first trials then scrambles, in 1972 - swiftly followed by my own championship, aided and abetted by various keen club members around the country, then managed to get full insurance and legal cover........

When we had the series up and running with riders flooding to it - that wakened the A-CU (of the day) and they were willing to accept my rules and my supervision, coordination for the first ten years and all was well.

But I was in my thirties, full of energy and assisted by a totally committed, active wife.

Now I am nearer eighty and am the sole carer for a disabled wife who needs total support, so the thought of organising another new series MUST be with somebody else.  I can advise, tell them the things we tried that failed as well as the things that we tried that worked - but then it will be up to them.

I promise you, I am not getting wound up - but I would prefer the spelling that my parents gave me which was DERYK

• Like 1